19 inch switches from 85 to 60 Hertz after restart

Casi

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
I have a 19 inch that can work at 1280x768 85Hertz. Every time I start Windows XP het monitor switches back to 60Hertz. My other monitor, a 17 inch, also connected to my Radeon 8500 stays at 75Hertz. Has anyone a solution to keep the 19inch at 85Hertz at all times?

thx

Earthdog

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2002
Do you have the proper drivers for your monitor? Windows might have difficulty keeping the drivers for each monior seperate. Unplug the 17 inch. Go to Device Manager and REMOVE both monitors. Reboot. Let windows find the 19 inch and install the drivers for it (the proper drivers I mean).

Reboot. Right click on your desktop and select properties. Go to the Settings tab. Click Advanced. Go to TwinView or its equivilant and make sure that the refresh rate is at 85hz Apply without restarting. If your monitor has an Info button click it and make sure its actually running at 85hz. If it is, power down your system and then plug the 17 inch back in. If XP finds it and asks fora driverdisk just ignore it and let windows use its own drivers for a Plug and Play monitor and leave it at that.

For some reason XP seems to only want to run 1 name brand monitor and 1 as a default monitor.

If its not broke dont fix it.