19" Magview Resolution Problem

G

I had purchased a 19" Magview monitor. Of course it did not come with any driver disk so I just used the plug & play dirver. The monitor worked in every resolution and color depth above 800x600 8bit, 16, & 32bit all the way up to 1600x1200. It also worked in 640x480 16bit. When ever a program would switch to either 640x480 8bit or 32bit it would crash the monitor. Green light on monitor goes amber. In the main computer I have a Velocity 4400, not over clocked. I tried it with most updated STB drivers, no dice, tried it with the Detonator 3 drivers, no dice, even formated, re-installed win98, tried both drivers again no dice. Now, my brother also has a LeadTek G-Force 256 DDR, it did the same thing. Tried an ATI Rage Pro 3d 8 MB card did the same thing. Emailed Magvision tech support, they sent me some driver files, still crashed out on theose 2 resolutions. Now I bought this monitor from Best Buy for like $179. Go to take it back and the stupid punk technician at Best Buy tried to tell me that the monitor was too advanced for my graphics card. ROTFL!! I swear I just dropped on the ground laughing at this dude. So he hooked it up to his computer at the store. He did not have any program that would do those resolutions, the only color depth that we could get with his display adapter properties was 16bit & 24bit. I came prepared with winamp on a floppy & the GEISS plugin(easy selection of resolutions and color depths). The monitor crashed on his system also. I just looked at him and was like "guess this monitor is too advanced for your graphics card also." Anyways, does anyone might know what the problem could have been? I do not have the monitor anymore. Since the tech was being a rude idiot to me I had a little chat with the manager he gave me $100 off a purchase towards a new monitor, got a 19" flat screen Micron now, works very nicely in all modes that I need it to.

G

Hi
The most likly case for your problem was that the computer did not know what your monitor was, and so did not know it limitations for Horrizontal and Vertical refresh rates. So the computer/ graphics card was over driving your monitor resulting in the monitor screen becoming garbled or blanked out. To cure this problem download the monitor inf file from the manufacturer's web site and install it. This will tell windows what your monitor is capable of and not over drive it.
Having the correct driver (inf file)for you monitor is quite important and can improve the screen display and avoid damaging your monitor.
Later
MAD1

G

I had the tech support of the monitor company email the most up-to date drivers and it did the same thing when I installed those drivers.

G

Hi
I have had this before with a provista 14 monitor if I went to the Display properties/ settings/ advanced/ adapter/ refresh rate and change the refresh rate from 'Optimal' to a refresh rate lower than the maximum stated in the drop down menue box say to 75Hz when changing the resolution then the monitor worked ok.
Although the only way i could get to the refresh rate menue was to use a monitor that could cope with the refresh rate when i change to the lower resolution, as the provista screen went gaga as soon as i changed the resolution. The monitor inf file seemed to allow the card to overdrive the monitor, so I edited the inf file to reduce the maximum refresh rate and this cured the problem.
Sorry in my hurried scan of your first email i missed the bit about you getting the monitor files, but at the risk of being patronising you did choose the exact monitor file for your monitor. Some manufacturers use very similar product numbers for their monitors ie Samsung have a 17GLi and a 17GLsi the latter monitor is a higher spec monitor and has a higher refresh rate then the GLi version, so the GLsi shouldent be used on the GLi version as it can over-drive the lower spec monitor.
Also did you try another 19"Magview yours could have been faulty?
Later
MAD1

G

Yes, we took 2 new monitors right out of box and they box showed acted in the same way.