1920x1080 vs 2560x1440

ste31uk

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
Hi
I currently have a 27 inch monitor, 1920x1080 resolution.
But i am thinking of buying a 27 inch monitor, 2560 x 1440 resolution.

The problem i have is, i play poker online and can just fit 9 poker tables on my monitor with slight over lapping of tables.
Will 2560 x 1440 resolution help me.
I still need each poker table to be the same size, but with a better resolution will i be able to see the games better?

dgingeri

Distinguished
Is the poker game you're playing a web browser based game? If so, try using ctrl-scroll down on your mouse. That should shrink the content and allow you to fit more on the screen. It would have a similar effect as getting a higher res monitor.

The higher resolution means you have more pixels (dots) on every square inch of monitor, but each pixel is smaller.
The higher resolution will generally make everything smaller on the screen including images and text in web pages, documents and your desktop.
Web browsers and document editors generally allow you to zoom.
For full screen games, many will scale to show the same size at any resolution.
A high resolution should make things look sharper.

AxlFone makes a good point about a larger screen. While you don't necessarily want multiple screens, you can get a larger monitor with 1920x1080 resolution (e.g. Full HD 32" LED television). This has the opposite effect of the higher resolution monitor. Everything is bigger and easier to see, although it won't look as sharp.

This is good for full screen games, but at this resolution default text size is very small and hard to read.
Also, moving to 2560x1440 resolution effectively doubles the required pixel fillrate from your graphics card, meaning you need a much better graphics card to run the same detail settings at the higher resolution.
This negates any benefit from not using anti-aliasing.
If you want more to fit on the screen or want it to be easier to see, a larger screen is the solution rather than a higher resolution.

You have really good answer for this! That was on my mind when I did post that bigger screen recomendation.
I just did not put in here. Nice work. Just like someone is reading my mind :lol:

ste31uk

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012

thanks for all the ideas.
Would the resolution on a 30 inch tv be ok ?
I allways thought that a tv would look blurry using it as a monitor

This depends on what you do with the screen.
A 30 inch screen at 1920x1080 is not as clear as the same resolution on a 27 inch screen, but it is still quite good and everything is bigger and easier to see.
I'm sitting typing now on my home theatre PC running 1920x1080 on a 55 inch television and it looks great from 2 metres away.
On my main PC I have a 40 inch television as a monitor and up close you can see the text looks blocky, but everything is very easy to read.
I think a 32 inch television running 1920x1080 resolution (Full HD or 1080p) is a good compromise.
Don't choose a "HD" TV with only 720p resolution, make sure it is Full HD 1080p.

Id look for 32 inch or bigger. Full HD is good. I think best thing to do go store and figure out how cloce u can wach it.
Samsung ,LG and what ever is cheap price but good panel is what you need. Best thing is that you can use it like tv too :)