Question 1920X1200 IPS display problem after installing windows 10

Aug 20, 2019
Hi, I hope you can help me with the following problem, because I hardly know anything about computers hardware/software. I am not even sure I describe the problem correctly and / or provide the relevant information.
I have some vision issues, including some sort visual sensitivity (flicker sensitivity, fast moving objects, etc) which may cause eye strain, nausea, headaches, migraine etc. I could not use CRT's with a refresh rate below 100. The LCD screens did not have this flicker, but introduced other problems associated with dithering, FRC etc.

Until recently, I solved these problems, using Windows 7, and the following hardware (P.S. I do not use the computer for gaming or viewing videos).
  • Motherboard ASUS P8H77-M / CSM
  • Processor Intel i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz 6MB 1155 QUAD
  • RAM 8GB (2x4 DDR3)
  • GPU Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 1GB
  • Display NEC MultiSync LCD2490WUXI2, DVI-D, 1920x1200 (not 1080) (IPS)
  • System Windows 7 home premium SP1 64-bit
  • The display is connected to the GPU using a DVI-D-dual-link cable.
  • If I recall correctly, I used to set Windows 7 on 16-bit color, thereby allowing the graphic card deal with the 1920X1200 resolution without dithering, FRC etc.
The problem is that since installing windows 10 Home-64-bit, I have all the symptoms again, and I do not know why. The only hardware change I did was adding a SSD Hard disk (on which Windows 10 is installed).
I tried to install updated drivers for the display and for the Graphic card. I also tried to change in the color management settings. However, it did not help. Moreover, I do not know how to revert to the original settings.
Maybe I am wrong, but I suspect the problem has something to do with the fact that with Windows 10 I cannot set the color definition to 16-bit, only 32-bit.
Is it possible that that my graphic card is not able to cope with the 1920X1200 resolution with 32bit color and therefore does some dithering or something else that causes my eyestrain, headache, nausea etc.?
If so, how can I solve the problem? Do I need a stronger GPU or other parts, and if so, is my current hardware compatible with these changes?
I do hope you will be able to give me some advice on this.
Thank you!

Ramlethal

Estimable
Adjust the refresh rate of your Monitor By tapping into the Monitor Settings in Both your Screen Configuration and the Nvidia control panel. That may fix the issue. When you install a brand new OS most of the OS comes with a standard 60hz fixed refresh rate even if your monitor does support 144hz.

Aug 20, 2019
Hi, I hope you can help me with the following problem, because I hardly know anything about computers hardware/software. I am not even sure I describe the problem correctly and / or provide the relevant information.
I have some vision issues, including some sort visual sensitivity (flicker sensitivity, fast moving objects, etc) which may cause eye strain, nausea, headaches, migraine etc. I could not use CRT's with a refresh rate below 100. The LCD screens did not have this flicker, but introduced other problems associated with dithering, FRC etc.

Until recently, I solved these problems, using Windows 7, and the following hardware (P.S. I do not use the computer for gaming or viewing videos).
  • RAM 8GB (2x4 DDR3)
  • If I recall correctly, I used to set Windows 7 on 16-bit color, thereby allowing the graphic card deal with the 1920X1200 resolution without dithering, FRC etc.
The problem is that since installing windows 10 Home-64-bit, I have all the symptoms again, and I do not know why. The only hardware change I did was adding a SSD Hard disk (on which Windows 10 is installed).
I tried to install updated drivers for the display and for the Graphic card. I also tried to change in the color management settings. However, it did not help. Moreover, I do not know how to revert to the original settings.
Maybe I am wrong, but I suspect the problem has something to do with the fact that with Windows 10 I cannot set the color definition to 16-bit, only 32-bit.
Is it possible that that my graphic card is not able to cope with the 1920X1200 resolution with 32bit color and therefore does some dithering or something else that causes my eyestrain, headache, nausea etc.?
If so, how can I solve the problem? Do I need a stronger GPU or other parts, and if so, is my current hardware compatible with these changes?
Thank you!

• RAM 8GB (2x4 DDR3)
Thank you!
If you're not doing anything graphically demanding the GPU should have no issue. It's better than the iGPU in my MacBook and the res on that is over 2K

GrandSACHI

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
Considering that you had to reduce the color depth to 16-bit in Windows 7 for it tor work properly, then my guess would be that you're right in your assumption is right.
Your only option would be to upgrade your GPU for something newer. Because you don't game or anything on this computer, even a bottom-of-the-line GTX 1030 would be sufficient to fix this problem, and yes it should run in your system.

Aug 20, 2019
Considering that you had to reduce the color depth to 16-bit in Windows 7 for it tor work properly, then my guess would be that you're right in your assumption is right.
Your only option would be to upgrade your GPU for something newer. Because you don't game or anything on this computer, even a bottom-of-the-line GTX 1030 would be sufficient to fix this problem, and yes it should run in your system.
Thanks. In both Win7 and Win10, the display works. However, I needed the GPU also in Win 7, not for gaming but in order to avoid the dithering etc.
Therefore I wonder: what sort of GPU will I need in order to be certain that I won't have the dithering or other 'adaptations'? and will my display and motherboard be compatible with this new GPU?
Thanks!

Aug 20, 2019
I can tell you that 16-bit color mode has not been supported on the desktop since Windows 7. It was removed back in Windows 8 seven years ago so no new GPU would allow this in Windows 10.
Indeed, I know I won't be able to use 16 bit colors. I have no reason to use 16 bit colors. I don't mind using 32 bit colors as long as I don't get those problems because of dithering and things alike. What type of GPU will I need in order to use 32-bit color without having problems due to issues such as PWM, FRC, dithering ? Will the display and the motherboard be compatible with this GPU? Thanks

Your monitor is a true 8-bit panel which should theoretically match perfectly with "32-bit" color depth (8 bits per color plus 8 bits for transparency) with no dithering/FRC at all.

While there are 10-bit panels now, they can only show that color depth in DirectX or OpenGL, not on the desktop.

As GTX 650 cards generally have an HDMI port I would suggest trying a TV using a different technology (VA or OLED or Plasma instead of IPS) to see if that also solves the problem too, but at 32-bit. Also try a display with a very high refresh rate, but be aware that most such panels are TN, and most TN panels are 6-bit with dithering/FRC that you'll obviously want to avoid.

GrandSACHI

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
Thanks. In both Win7 and Win10, the display works. However, I needed the GPU also in Win 7, not for gaming but in order to avoid the dithering etc.
Therefore I wonder: what sort of GPU will I need in order to be certain that I won't have the dithering or other 'adaptations'? and will my display and motherboard be compatible with this new GPU?
Thanks!

Any modern GPU handles natively 32-bit display without any problem. As I mentioned, a GT 1030 will be more than enough for your need, or if you want to spend a little more, you could go for a GTX 1050. Both will be fine in your system as they draw less power than your current GPU anyway.

Aug 20, 2019
Your monitor is a true 8-bit panel which should theoretically match perfectly with "32-bit" color depth (8 bits per color plus 8 bits for transparency) with no dithering/FRC at all.

While there are 10-bit panels now, they can only show that color depth in DirectX or OpenGL, not on the desktop.

As GTX 650 cards generally have an HDMI port I would suggest trying a TV using a different technology (VA or OLED or Plasma instead of IPS) to see if that also solves the problem too, but at 32-bit. Also try a display with a very high refresh rate, but be aware that most such panels are TN, and most TN panels are 6-bit with dithering/FRC that you'll obviously want to avoid.

Well if it fixes your issue then you'll know to shop for a new monitor instead of wasting money on a new GPU that almost certainly won't. And TVs are something you may have already. I don't know what displays you tried before arriving at your Windows 7 configuration, but the 16-bit workaround you used then is closed to you now so you have to start over somewhere.

The last time Tom's tested GPUs for 2D performance, the most expensive and cheapest cards performed the same and hadn't changed in years. If anything, much older cards performed better because it's no longer something that's optimized for--they're all fast enough. I fail to see what a Pascal card will do in 2D that a Kepler card cannot, and am actually running a GTX 650 at 4k60 in yes, 32-bit color. Sure, it cannot hardware accelerate 4k videos, but OP said they do not view videos.
aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9OL0UvNDc1MTc4L29yaWdpbmFsLzAzLUF1dG9DQUQtMkQucG5n

I will say also that it is easier to return/exchange a display with no restocking fee than a GPU but YMMV. The GPU is sure easier to carry home.

Aug 20, 2019
Thanks. I really appreciate your willingness to try to answer may questions, as I really do not know anything about this! I still do not seem to underatnd it:
The GPU + monitor worked fine untill I changed from Windows 7 to 10, which implied changing from 16-bit to 32 bit.
If my monitor is a 8-bit panel which should match with "32-bit" color depth with no dithering/FRC at all, then why should I suspect the problem is the monitor and not the GPU?
Thanks!!