1973 Bally Monte Carlo...PLEASE HELP!

fred

I just recently bought a 1973 Monte Carlo pinball machine and it is going to
be a project of mine to restore it. I know next to nothing about "old"
electronics or working on pinball machines, but I have purchased a manual
called "Pinball Machine Maintenance" and I am reading through it. I hope to
eventually be able to muddle through enough to eventually restore this
machine.

My first problem is that this pinball machine will not change players/balls
unless I tilt it. It just started doing (er not doing) this. The book says
that I should check the Ball Index Relay and I suspect that this would be a
very good place to start. The problem is, I have no clue as to where I
would find this relay. Is it under the play field or in the back box? I
realize that this is probably a stupid question, but can anyone help me
locate this relay?

By the way, I live near central Arkansas, so if there are any EM pinball
repair guys near me, I would love to hear from you!

Thanks in advance!

Mark

Strongly suggest you read the guide to EM pinball repair found here:

http://www.marvin3m.com/fix.htm

Also check out the videos listed at the top of the page at the above
link. EXCELLENT guides that provide visuals for the info in the pinted
guide.

I also suggest you contact an architect about an expansion to your
home. There is virutally no way you can live with just one pinball
machine.

Good luck!
Bob K

Could also be a stepper unit cleaning/adjustment. I had the same type
problem with my Williams Aztec, couldn't get it to change players or
balls. Recleaned and gently lubed ( Radio shack Teflon Lube Gel) the
contacts on the steppers inside the cab, problem solved. Sorry I don't
have a Bally from that era to better direct you.

Again, good luck!!

Thanks Bob. I have been to marvin and I did read a good portion of the text
there, but I don't recall reading anything about locating the Ball Index
Relay. I am also planning on buying the videos you suggested in the very
near future because I am pretty green at this and I need all the help I can
get.

The thing is, I thought I might be able to simply clean a switch or relay
and at least get the machine changing balls/players in the short term. That
little problem really impeeds the playability of the game. :(
Unfortunaltely, when I open the cabinet up I get the deer in the headlights
look. I just don't know where to look for this relay.

Any help is appreciated and I am going to buy more printed and video
resources to help me learn about this stuff!

Thanks

Mark