1GB and 2GB on the same laptop

TMAB2003

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
I have a Toshiba Satellite A100- SK800C with 1GB of RAM at the moment.

I asked the computer shop and they said I can buy one 1GB and another 2GB DDR2 200 pin 667MHz RAMs and it will be compatible.

How can I validate this information?

I am kind of uncertain about the two different memories working well together...what do you guys think?

Might want to do some reading on the Toshiba website or consult the owners manual.

There is nothing stopping you/the computer shop from putting an additional 2GB module of the same spec in the laptop as the machine should just recognize the additional memory and show a total of 3GB. However, what you need to research is whether the laptop supports dual channel memory or not. If it does support dual channel, by combining a 1GB and a 2GB module it may force it into single channel mode. Typically speaking, if the computer suppports dual channel memory you want a memory kit (matched pair) of DIMMs to ensure dual channel mode.

TMAB2003

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
Eeehh..this is interesting:

From the User Manual of my laptop:

Memory expansion Two memory expansion slots are available for installing
256 MB or 512 MB or 1024 MB memory modules. The
modules are PC4200, 200-pin, SO Dual In-line (SODIMM).

But almost every site says 2GB RAM modules are compatible with mine...what's going on? :\

TMAB2003

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
And again in the SPECS part:

Memory Slots / Max: 2 RAM slots - bottom of the unit (user accessible), both occupied with 512MB DDR2 PC2-4200S; can be filled with 256MB, 512MB, 1GB or 2GB DDR2 (4GB Max = 2048MB x 1 + 2048MB x 1)

Toshiba needs to revise these documents i think!

I don't quite know how to figure out whether my laptop features Dual Channel Mode....how do I find out?

leo2kp

Distinguished
Nowdays dual-channel isn't as fast vs single-channel as it used to be. Especially if you're not gaming, you will notice a bigger difference in the ammount of ram vs the speed, and we're talking like 2% increase of real-world performance with dual-channel. Not much to write home about lol. Just get the 2gb stick IMO.