1GB Broadband Line, Webpage loading is fast, youtube is slow.

Aug 5, 2018
Hi all,

I hope you can help me with this problem.

I have just switched to a dual band router TP Link C3150 V2 as I reside in Hong Kong with a 1GBS line. The main problem is that for everyone at home, YouTube videos are taking a long time to stream compare to normal websites such as news. The problem also occurs in mobile phones when we try and search using google search bar on our home screens.

I have turned 2.4 Ghz wireless connection off as everyone is on a 5 Ghz wireless device. The problem does not happen when connected to ethernet connection.

Please help.

Solution
Yes, your problem is wireless capacity congestion.

Download a free wifi analyzer app for your phone and use it to select the least used channel, although there may not be any that are very good. Best to select from 1, 6, and 11 when using 2.4GHz wireless. So whichever has the lowest other signal strengths would be best.

It is worth checking the 5GHz though also, as it does not penetrate matter as well so only close routers/APs will be as problematic and it has more available channels, but if everyone else has figured that out too it may not help.

RealBeast

Titan
Yes, your problem is wireless capacity congestion.

Download a free wifi analyzer app for your phone and use it to select the least used channel, although there may not be any that are very good. Best to select from 1, 6, and 11 when using 2.4GHz wireless. So whichever has the lowest other signal strengths would be best.

It is worth checking the 5GHz though also, as it does not penetrate matter as well so only close routers/APs will be as problematic and it has more available channels, but if everyone else has figured that out too it may not help.

Solution
It's difficult to do wifi in dense areas well. the access points antenna power would need to be minimal and devices would get strong signal in line of site. the signal overlap of many access points near each other causes quality to drop. this would have to be agreed upon and implemented building wide. youtube doesn't use a lot of data so if that's struggling it must be extremely congested.