1GB DDR2 667MHz RAM in dual or single channel for Core 2 Duo

Jay_85

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2007
I got a Gigabyte GA-945GM-S2 mobo it has 4 RAM slots supporting upto 4GB 667MHz DDR2 RAM.

Right now I’ll be using a Pentium D 805 processor but will eventually upgrade to a Core 2 Duo 6600 processor or any other Core 2 Duo depending on the money I save up.

I might as well get another 1 GB RAM stick with the Core 2 Duo processor but it’s not that certain.

Will using 1 GB RAM in dual channel (512x2) make a big difference compared to using a single stick?
It would be fine with me if single channel would be 1-5 fps less in games compared to dual channel.

Moreover, I would save up a little if I go for a single stick not that it’s necessary but it’s just a consideration.

Thanks.

mpoy

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
I don't recommend buying 512mb modules. I consider them obsolete. Buy a single 1GB module. It will be much easier for you to upgrade in the future.

Mondoman

Splendid
Losing dual-channel mode will mean that you won't be able to fully support your future C2D's bandwidth. With a Pentium D 805, which has a 533MHz FSB, as long as you run your RAM at DDR2-533, it will keep up with the CPU. If you O/C your 805D, run the RAM proportionally faster to keep up.

When you switch to a C2D with 1066 or faster FSB, you'll really want to be running in dual-channel mode, so be sure to get another 1GB stick then.

TRENDING THREADS