1GB Ram or 2? 6400 RAM or 5400? 5400/5300?? Thanks!

labortius

Distinguished
May 17, 2004
Hi all!

I was wondering...I'm planning to put together a Core 2 Duo 6400 with a 1950 pro, but I have a few qustions about RAM...

a) What kind of speed difference will I see between 5400 and 6400 RAM? More than 10% in games?

b) Do games really need 2Gb of RAM or is 1GB enough for most? What kind of difference will I see? I know in two or three years time most games will probably run better on 2GB, what what about now, and in the next year? Toms hardware did an article saying than 1GB was all you needed at the moment, but that was a few months ago.

c) Why is there 5400 RAM and 5300 RAM? Can you use 5300 in 5400 motherboards, but not the other way around?

I'm planning to get a Corsair XMS2 of some type, but aren't sure exactly what I need to get. I'd like it to be OK for the next year or so.

I'm guessing most of you will say 2GB 6400? I'm willing to pay for it, if it makes that much difference, especially with the speed. I'm not planning to overclock much, just a little towards the end of the its life for kicks...

Thanks,
lab.

forumtroll

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2006
a) What kind of speed difference will I see between 5400 and 6400 RAM? More than 10% in games?

The difference wouldn't be anywhere near 10% in most cases. It isn't a simple question to answer though, as the relationship between memory bandwidth/speed and game performance isn't direct. In many cases you'd see no performance increase at all.

Do games really need 2Gb of RAM or is 1GB enough for most?

Most games will perform fine with 1gb of memory. Adding more than 1gb on a windows box which is running nothing more than a single game (ie, not running other memory consuming applications in the background) won't have a big impact. That being said, I wouldn't roll with anything other than 2gb. This ensures I'll have enough memory for unhindered performance when doing things like running both Oblivion and iTunes. :)

labortius

Distinguished
May 17, 2004
Thanks for the reply, I guess it's not worth going for 6400 unless the price is good (or close to the 5400).

I'm inching for 1GB, which is half the price of 2GB. If it was half the price again to get 2 over 1, then maybe. Better to get 1Gb stick, then add another later when it's cheaper. Or 2 x 512MB dual channel for the performance.