Question 1Gbps internet speed is not at full speed.

catartz

Reputable
Apr 21, 2018
So, I recently bought a 1gbps data plan, the router i have is the one they gave me, its a huawei hg8121h and they gave me a cable, i dont know what kind of cable it is but i have bought a cat5e cable and the speed is the same, i do not know why is it not working at 1gbps, its at a lower speed than when i got it and i dont know what to do.
https://paste.pics/3551f5eeaa09e773d2291874fad4b38c
my router settings are also set to full duplex 1000mbit/s
https://paste.pics/14b4ea1ed29d2e5d7720ecabee15652e

Last edited:
From the post there is no way to know what is happening or why, you just posted a screenshot of your 1gb connection to the router.

What is the exact issue? You say it's at a lower speed than when you got it, what exactly is this lower speed and how are you testing it? Need details.

catartz

Reputable
Apr 21, 2018
Did you call the ISP and ask why it was not running at full speed. Did you verify that it ran at gigbit speed when the installer was there. You always want them to test using their pc to show they actually can get the rates they promise.
i wasnt there when they installed it, my mom was home and i did not call anybody

catartz

Reputable
Apr 21, 2018
From the post there is no way to know what is happening or why, you just posted a screenshot of your 1gb connection to the router.

What is the exact issue? You say it's at a lower speed than when you got it, what exactly is this lower speed and how are you testing it? Need details.
i also linked a screenshot of the ookla speed test saying that its at 300mbps, a month ago it was at 500 mbps and i assume its supposed to be 1000mbps

catartz

Reputable
Apr 21, 2018
There is not much else you can test. The box you have is a ONT and router in the same unit.

I would try another pc just in case but I would call the ISP and have them come out and prove to you that the connection can run close to 1gbit you are paying for.
So the router is ok?It can run at 1 gigabit right?

D

Deleted member 14196

are you testing with Ethernet or WiFi? like mentioned above speed test with your phone and another pc if possible, if they all result the same, call your ISP. usually just test on wifi and it gets more than what I am paying for. not tons more, but good. you should be like a rocket.

catartz

Reputable
Apr 21, 2018
are you testing with Ethernet or WiFi? like mentioned above speed test with your phone and another pc if possible, if they all result the same, call your ISP. usually just test on wifi and it gets more than what I am paying for. not tons more, but good. you should be like a rocket.
So on my pc, i have an i5 4440, gigabyte p85-d3 and an rx 570, my mobo is rated at 1000mbps speeds and i get 300 mbps, my laptop which is an acer aspire x540l which does not have 1000mbps speeds i get 94 mbps and on my phone i get 50 mbps through wireless

Are your parents asking u to troubleshoot this?

Your speed is affected what's going on in the rest of the house, u should test this when nobody is at home, at least u know they are not doing anything heavy on the network.

To blame the ISP, u should always do a test, attaching PC and laptop via ETHERNET with 1 gig NIC directly to modem, ideally disconnecting everybody else, 'les one of your brother is running a 24x7 torrent.

catartz

Reputable
Apr 21, 2018

Your speed is affected what's going on in the rest of the house, u should test this when nobody is at home, at least u know they are not doing anything heavy on the network.

To blame the ISP, u should always do a test, attaching PC and laptop via ETHERNET with 1 gig NIC directly to modem.
My parents are not asking me to do anything, i want them to do something about this because they are basically throwing money away on the 1 gigabit internet and they wont contact the isp because of reasons(idk why)
There is nothing heavy happening on the network, my dad uses his data on his phone, so do i and so does my mother, the only thing that uses the internet is the computer and the laptop, the laptop is barely used, so my computer is the only thing using this network, i cannot test the internet on my laptop because its not capable of 1 gigabit speeds.
also my parents are like cavemen when it comes to internet or computers in general.
(there are only 3 people in the house, me, my dad and my mother, no brothers, no sisters, and i am not downloading anything)

catartz

Reputable
Apr 21, 2018

To blame the ISP, u should always do a test, attaching PC and laptop via ETHERNET with 1 gig NIC directly to modem, ideally disconnecting everybody else, 'les one of your brother is running a 24x7 torrent.
I am just wondering if there is any computer settings i can change.

mihen

Honorable
Oct 11, 2017
Who is your ISP?
First thing you should do with any computer is to turn it on and off again. In this case, turn off all your internet connected devices and the ONT/Router. Then turn on the ONT/Router until it establishes a connection. Then turn on your other devices. You'll be surprised how many issues are resolved when your computer restarts.
Most devices today should have the compute hardware and software behind it to automatically set itself up if properly connected.

Apr 9, 2019
Nothing to change, The fact is that you now have 1Gb/s internet and you are trying to get a test to show full speed to confirm you do. With such a fast internet connection you are going to find bottlenecks in parts of the internet you never knew existed and a lot of the time people only have a 1Gb/s speed test server and more than 1 person is testing at any given time so the server will be the bottleneck.
If you can be sure you are testing to a 10gig server and the path from you to that server is uncontested then you can complain but until then it is literally a best effort service with no service level agreement.

catartz

Reputable
Apr 21, 2018
I reset my router and <Mod Edit> it up, it says that "your dns server might be unavailable" i think i need to do my pppoe settings but i need a username and a password, i do not have either
Also my isp is Digi or Rds-Rcs i think its the same thing

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 9, 2019
Call your ISP and do the regular troubleshooting and then report back with your findings.
I wouldn't suggest any router or PC setting will fix your issue. This stuff just works. The issue is with what you are trying to connect to having a bottleneck along the way or your ISP is trash and sell a 1Gig plan and don't have the network capacity to service it.

catartz

Reputable
Apr 21, 2018
Call your ISP and do the regular troubleshooting and then report back with your findings.
I wouldn't suggest any router or PC setting will fix your issue. This stuff just works. The issue is with what you are trying to connect to having a bottleneck along the way or your ISP is trash and sell a 1Gig plan and don't have the network capacity to service it.
I cant contact the isp, my dad says that we dont have a contract and that its on the name of the owner that owns this apartment , not my dads or my moms name, so i think im <Mod Edit>, i dont even have internet anymore sooo....

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 9, 2019
You can contact them to do basic troubleshooting of the service. This doesn't need account authority. Clearly you can't make billing changes or have info disclosed.

catartz

Reputable
Apr 21, 2018
You can contact them to do basic troubleshooting of the service. This doesn't need account authority. Clearly you can't make billing changes or have info disclosed.
Alright then, ill contact them but do you know if i need my pppoe set up to use internet?And how to fix the dns might not be available error?

Apr 9, 2019
Unsure as I am in New Zealand and my knowledge is limited to our Fibre and copper network but you do need PPPOE to authenticate and use the connection. The PPPOE provides DNS etc so yes, it needs to work. These Fibre/Cable connects are set and go, if there is an issue it will be with the provider.

catartz

Reputable
Apr 21, 2018
Unsure as I am in New Zealand and my knowledge is limited to our Fibre and copper network but you do need PPPOE to authenticate and use the connection. The PPPOE provides DNS etc so yes, it needs to work. These Fibre/Cable connects are set and go, if there is an issue it will be with the provider.
Yeaaaa so im not gonna be able to use my internet, thanks though.

Apr 9, 2019
Don't be salty, Just give them a call and sort it out. They will get you going again and all will be fine. Once its going just use it and it will all be ok.

Account in the name of the complex's management? I sense your parents are browing you off so you don't keep bugging them with a non-issue (to them).

Don't know where you are but I'd expect ISP only wants to talk to the account holder.

Another sense I get is, you saw a port speed of 1 gig and immediately extrapolated you have 1 gig service.

Good luck with ur project.