Question 1Gbps internet speed is not at full speed.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

catartz

Reputable
Apr 21, 2018
So, I recently bought a 1gbps data plan, the router i have is the one they gave me, its a huawei hg8121h and they gave me a cable, i dont know what kind of cable it is but i have bought a cat5e cable and the speed is the same, i do not know why is it not working at 1gbps, its at a lower speed than when i got it and i dont know what to do.
https://paste.pics/3551f5eeaa09e773d2291874fad4b38c
my router settings are also set to full duplex 1000mbit/s
https://paste.pics/14b4ea1ed29d2e5d7720ecabee15652e

Last edited:

keithsplace

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
I cant contact the isp, my dad says that we dont have a contract and that its on the name of the owner that owns this apartment , not my dads or my moms name, so i think im <Mod Edit>, i dont even have internet anymore sooo....
Are you sure you are supposed to have full 1GB/s connection or is the whole appartment complex sharing a 1GB connection, which is what I would be my guess.
I don't think an apartment complex would foot the bill for every unit to have dedicated 1GB/s connection.
It's probably one T1 connection shared with a switch.
FTR your not giving us much info to go on. AS in Windows 10 with a XXX? 1GB nic, Linux wired wireless, is there wireless near by etc.. Have you ever seen a 1BG/s connection on that machine somewhere else etc.?

USAFRet

Titan
So, I recently bought a 1gbps data plan
My parents are not asking me to do anything, i want them to do something about this because they are basically throwing money away on the 1 gigabit internet
i think i need to do my pppoe settings but i need a username and a password, i do not have either
I cant contact the isp, my dad says that we dont have a contract and that its on the name of the owner that owns this apartment

These statements do not go together.

mihen

Honorable
Oct 11, 2017
By reset. Do you mean pulled the power plug from the ONT/Router, wait 10 seconds, then plug it back in? I really hope that is what you did. It usually takes a few minutes for it to fully re-establish a connection. Then turn on your connected devices once a connection is established. Any modern consumer networking device should automatically re-establish a connection and provision it's network.

I cant contact the isp, my dad says that we dont have a contract and that its on the name of the owner that owns this apartment , not my dads or my moms name, so i think im <Mod Edit>, i dont even have internet anymore sooo....

This does not make any sense, how did you order a new plan through that ISP if they don't even have your names on the account? All you need to do is work with the ISP to set things up again, or with the owner of the apartment. From all this new info you gave, there was no way you could have upgraded the service plan in the first place since you are not the account owner. You need to get some adult help here to sort things out.