1Ghz on Slot 1? Yeah!

Diegote

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2003
Hello. Well, it´s one of my first post here on THG forums.
I live in Argentina. Now I have a P3 750 Mhz (slot 1) on a Soyo SY-6VBA133. The next month I will be buying the last part of my new system: an NF7-s mobo (currently I have this parts: Athlon XP2100, GF FX5200 from Albatron, 120 Gb. HDD from Maxtor, 2 DDR 333 memory modules from Samsung (CL 2.5), Topower Case, my old 40 Gb HD, and my old optical units (Pionner DVD105-s and OptoRite 16x12x40 CD-RW). Well, looking at the fact that I will sell my old system, I started to overclock it, as a test for ocing my new system. As you know, my mobo supports 133Mhz FSB. But my CPU is a 100Mhz FSB one. So as the multiplier on the intel CPUs is locked, this is my only choice: the FSB. With stock cooling I reached the non-despicable speed of 900 Mhz (120 Mhz FSB). But the CPU temp at that level was too high, and the system was not fully stable. (it was runing at ~1.69v instead of 1.66 wich is the correct voltage for my processor). The first thing that I do is change the fan. I replaced the standart one with the one that I buyed for my Athlon: a Delta of 38CFM@6800RPM. Then system turned fully stable and bery noisy. But the temps still high. So I took the processor´s cartridge and dissasembled it. Look at the aluminum heatsink and... what is it? a THERMAL PAD!. Quickly I removed it and, as I readed in some sites, used a sandpaper to make the heatsink so plane as I can. After half hour of work, it have a much more plane contact surface. I cleaned the proccesor´s core with alcohol, added a thin layer of thermal paste, put the heatsink back again... and I´m ready to go. Start the system, windows booting... and what I see during the last step of the OS boot-up??... MBM sayin 38 degrees !!! Looking at the previous temps (around 42 at idle, and 70 at full load) It was a bery great difference. So I continue overclocking... reached 930 Mhz at 124Mhz of FSB and... that´s over.. my BIOS does not have an higer option. But.. wait a minute... i tooked the Soyo´s guide... and... yeah! there is a jumper combination that tells the procesor to boot-up a 133 FSB, and thrus,another that enables all the FSB options on the BIOS. so I do that. Re-jumped the mobo... pushed the power button... and... beep... BIOS POSTED!. Enter the set-up, set 133 FSB, CL 2 an DRAM frequency at 133 (My 128Mb module is PC133)... and... booting... what the hell... it loaded windows!!!!. Runs stable. So I just start "Enter the Matrix" and start playing. At this point, the CPU was working at 1.70v. played some minutes.... and.... locked Up. GRRRRRRRRR. Well, the last option: +10% of normal core voltage. Reboot, set the Vcore option at +10%... and boot!!!! It currently passed the 3dMark 2003 test stable 3 times. And also I can play "enter the matrix" bery fine. And trus, the PCI clock and AGP clock run at standart speeds!!!! (remember that the setup believes taht is a 133 FSB processor). All my fist attempts to increase the FSB (before changing the jumpers) was overclocking the PCI bus and AGP port. They worked at a max speed of 41 for the PCI and the AGP at 81, both never showed any problems.(even at 81 Mhz of the AGP, it loaded much more fast the textures onto the 128 Mb of the FX5200). I have a Sound Blaster PCI-128 sound card, and a "el cheapo" 3com winmodem.
Now the system still runing bery stable. Now the max temp is around 45/47 Celsius degrees. I´m bery pleased, and I´m thinking to add a cooper base to the heatsink, in order to change the fan with a less noisy one, and reduce the temp.
Somebody reached the Ghz on slot 1? ;-). I can say YES!.

Greetings.
Diego.

P.D.: sorry for my english.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I ran a Tualatin Celeron 1100 at 1466MHz/133FSB on my Slot 1 board, using an Upgradeware Slot-T adapter.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

Diegote

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2003
Yeap. But the Slot 1 is the problem. Now I cannot buy a new Slot 1 CPU. If I could buy a Powerleap adapter, I could run a socket 370 tualatin. But in my country those adapters aren´t for sale. The only adapter at sale enables the board to run socket 370 Celeron´s at a max speed of 533Mhz. The CPU that now is runing at 1Ghz. is a Coppermine 100x7.5 . Really the P3 at 1 Ghz for slot 1 was a production model?. I think those not even arrived to my country...

Greetings.
Diego.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I don't recommend the Powerleap adapter unless you're board isn't Coppermine compatable. The Upgradeware adapter is much cheaper ($20 here), much simpler (no onboard VRM), much more reliable (no onboard VRM to break), and offers adjustable voltages. The only catch is: It requires a board that supports the lower voltages used with Coppermine CPU's, which is called VRM 8.4. Since VRM 8.4 goes down to 1.3v, it also works with Tualatins.

Yes, the PIII 1000E was a Slot 1 100MHz bus CPU, 10x100. The PIII 1000EB was available as either Socket 370 or Slot 1, but required a 133MHz bus.

svol

Champion
It was...? I thought the Katmai stopped somewhere at 700MHz? Or are you telling me there are also Coppermine Slot 1 P3s?

My CPU fan spins so fast that it creates a wormhole :eek:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes! IN fact, a lot of HP dual CPU workstations used Slot1 PIII 733s!

The Katmai core stopped at 600MHz. That means there were at least 6 versions of the PIII 600

PIII 600/512 (Katmai)
PIII 600B/512 (Katmai/133 bus)
PIII 600E Slot 1 (Coppermine)
PIII 600EB Slot 1 (Coppermine/133 bus)
PIII 600E Socket 370 (Coppermine)
PIII 600EB Socket 370 (Coppermine/133 bus)

Hehe, I have a PIII 700E server, Slot 1. You know all the E's were Coppermine/256k.

And the PIII 750 he overclocked to 1GHz, Coppermine (Actually, he has a 750E Slot 1).

soulprovider

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2003
Well done on that overclock - it's not often the right ingredients for a high OC come together by accident. It's pretty ironic as many of us have to search high and low for specific parts which even then don't perform as well as we'd hoped.

My first upgrade was a DIY job going from a real old generic pentium 100 to a super socket 7 board, AMD K62 380MHZ chip and a cheap stick of ram. The only clue I had at the time regarding those components was that they were all I could afford.

A couple of magazine reads later and I had the chip running 560MHZ Rock solid or 600MHZ not so stable. This was at a time when the P2 450 was king with a £480 price tag.

The thrill that gave me has remained ever since.

<b>Vorsprung durch Dontwerk</b>.....<i>as they say at VIA</i>

svol

Champion
Very interesting... proves that I dunno much about the P3 platform.

As you know I OC'ed the 700 MHz to 933/133 MHz, 1.8V VCore very easily on the board I bought from you. But it seems I can't bring it any further... with 135MHz FSB and 1.9V VCore it still isn't stable... any idea what is causing it?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
A lot of PIII's had a limit of around 980MHz, expecially the early ones. And given that not all are created equally, you might have one that does somewhat less!

It could also be a memory problem. Most of my BX boards will overheat memory when you get it much past 133MHz...because the BX has a very aggressive memory controller. So it could be memory, you might try raising the Cas Latency...

My Crucial Cas2 PC133 would run at 145MHz Cas2 on my i815, and 162MHz Cas3 if I recall correctly, on that same chipset. But on my BX boards it would only do around 135MHz at Cas2, 140MHz at 2-3-2, 145MHz at Cas3, and would overheat at 150MHz after a few minutes, even at the slowest timings.

Of course the BX gave better performance at settings the memory could tolerate.

Did you know you could run a Tualatin Celeron 1100@1466 on that board, using the Upgradeware Slot-T adapter?

svol

Champion
No I didn't know that about the Tualitin... although I remember seeing an article about it on THG.

Well I also have a stick of Crucial RAM so I guess it is the memory... well I think I let it run at 933MHz then, it still runs very fast (Win98 boots within 15 seconds).

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Actually Tom's only tested the Powerleap adapter. I recommend the Upgradeware adapter for the following reasons:

1.) It's much cheaper ($20 here)
2.) It's much more reliable (no onboard VRM)
3.) It's adjustable (both voltage and bus speed detection)

Of course without the onboard VRM it requires a motherboard has VRM 8.4, which your does. VRM 8.4 goes down to 1.30v, earlier VRM 8.2 only went down to 1.80v.

TRENDING THREADS