1mbps internet speed

Jul 8, 2018
I have a 2.4ghz 802.n 300mbps wifi pcie card in my pc. However, my internet speed is extremely slow: its speed hits 1mbps and whenever I try downloading something it fails to do so. On Windows 10 I am connected to the internet and no matter what I do I cannot get a faster speed. Is it because my router is on the ground floor and my pc is 2 floors above? If so, will getting an ethernet port significantly help?

Going through 2 floors with pretty much any wireless will degrade the signal.
(Wood degrades the signal less than steel, but it will still be degraded due to the wood itself and the electrical wiring.)

Try using your phone (because its easier to carry) or laptop and try to get a reading for each floor.

If you find that right next to the router is good and the room right above the router is also good, but the room 2 floors above the router has a terrible signal than you may need to install Ethernet jacks or install a wireless repeater.

As somebody asked, u never disclosed how much bandwidth you are paying for so there is no fair comparison. Who knows maybe 1mbps is normal for you.

it because my router is on the ground floor and my pc is 2 floors above?
Look at the WIFI icon, the "fan" strength meter, how many bars are you getting? that tells you.

If so, will getting an ethernet port significantly help?
Often does. As long as you can run a cable to the router.

TRENDING THREADS