1st Build Components Compatibility

silentdrummer

Commendable
Jan 18, 2017
Hey there!

i've just created my first build and re-iterated it with some friends. Now I'm about to purchase it and I wanted to make sure, that I'm not running in some compatibility issues.

Since this is just a compatibility question, I'm not going to go through all the recommended info in "How to Ask for New Build or Upgrade Advice". I hope, that's ok ;)

Primary usage: photo & video editing

##Here is my setup:

Initial investment:
CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz
Cooler: Alpenföhn ATLAS 63.6 CFM
Mobo: Asus PRIME Z270-A ATX
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3000
Storage: Samsung 960 Evo 500GB M.2 SSD
Case: be quiet! ​PURE BASE ​600 black
PSU: Corsair RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX

As soon as I can afford it:
Asus GeForce GTX 1070 8GB

Luckily the i7-7700K has onboad graphics and the mobo has a Display Port, so I can start with that and go on from there.

final stage:
additional Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3000
additional Samsung 960 Evo 500GB M.2 SSD for a RAID0
additional Asus GeForce GTX 1070 8GB for SLI

The following should be compatible to my knowledge:
case + mobo + cpu + cooler + ram + storage
also the final power consumption should be below 620W
SLI should work.

I'm not sure about:
PSU: do I have the right connectors? enough power?
Raid0: does it work without an extra RAID controller?

I've configured the build in pcpartpicker, but I had to add a lot of parts, since not all were available:
https://de.pcpartpicker.com/user/silentdrummer/saved/gvK23C

What do you think about it? Any suggestions? How silent will it be? Do you think I can overclock the i7? It should use about 100W overclocked and the cooler is build for 200W.

Thanks in advance!
Wolfgang

RAID0 will not be necessary; a single PCIe x4 SSD should be fast enough for almost any conceivable use, with the possible exception of certain analyses requiring massive input data storage speed.
Even the 32GB of RAM you're using at the outset should be enough for the foreseeable future. People who have only 8GB are still not "suffering."
I would not even think about SLI until you've tried the single card. See what, if any, performance shortcomings it has.

silentdrummer

Commendable
Jan 18, 2017

Thanks for your quick response!

You are certainly right with questioning the usefulness of my "final" configuration and I'm definitely sure, that I'll be blown away by the performance of a single 1070. But I'd still like to know, if it was at least technically possible to do it. Since I'm a fan of "future-proof" investments and I normally like to use my hardware for about 4-6 Years.

About the SSD: I read the specifications of the 960 Pro which is almost maxing out the PCIe x4 and thought that the 960 EVO in RAID0 would do even better, while being a cheaper solution at the beginning.

CTurbo

Pizza Monster
I agree with Onus about RAID and SLI. There is no scenario in which I would RAID two ssds. That 650w psu is technically powerful enough, but considering the small price difference between 650 and 750w, I would feel more comfortable with a 750w unit.

You should at least consider the X99 platform and a 6 core i7 for your uses.

USAFRet

Titan

silentdrummer

Commendable
Jan 18, 2017

thanks for your input! good reads!

silentdrummer

Commendable
Jan 18, 2017

thanks for you input! I switched the 650w for a 750w unit, makes perfectly sense!

I did consider the X99 platform with a 6th gen i7 before, but I thought that the processor would be the last thing I would upgrade, so I chose the 7th gen. everything else (ram, storage, graphics) is upgradeable without having to throw out parts i've already bought.