1st build, Graphics Card problem, System won't boot with new ATI 5870

eikone

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
I finished putting together my first complete build and tried to start up for the first time last night. Everything started running (fans, lights, temp/fan controller) AND a very loud (and annoying) continuous beep. :mmmfff: It was NOT the usual BIOS code beep. I turned it off, rechecked all connections, memory cards and all other expansion cards and still had the same results. Also, in addition to the very loud beep, it sounded like I had my old house box fan running in there! Some fan was running very loudly! I finally took out the GPU and plugged in an old (and I mean OLD) graphics card I had laying around and, voila, it booted right up! I left it at that (it was 4am, too tired) and have not begun any OS or other installations.

Should I just go ahead with the installations and then try to reinstall the GPU as if it were an upgrade? This GPU is one of the major reasons for this new build. I really want to get this thing up and blazing NOW!!! :hot: :gun:

Here's a more complete system list:
MOBO - ASUS P6T
PSU - 660w Kingwin Premium Series
CPU - Intel Core i7 920
CPU Cooler - Dark Knight
RAM - 6GB OCZ DDR3 Gold
HDD - 1TB WD Caviar Black
SSD - 60GB OCZ
GPU - ATI Radeon HD5870 1GB
HDTV Card - Hauppuage Win TV-HVR 1600
Lian Li 3.5 LCD Thermometer & Fan Controller
Optical Drive - SAMSUNG Super-WriteMaster SH-S223
(will soon be adding Blu-ray Drive)
System is housed in a Thermaltake XaserVI case that I have done some modding to.
Also have external 640GB WD MyBook Storage, LG Super-Multi DVD writter and
my HP w2408 24 inch LCD Monitor.

Solution
Did you have both 6-pin PCI-E power connectors plugged into your 5870. That Kingwin PSU is most likely the problem. All cheap PSU's are rated at their max voltage and can't constantly put out anywhere near that voltage. You should pick up a quality unit from Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, Seasonic, Antec, etc... A quality PSU is the key to a stable system. A cheap PSU in a system like that will almost guarantee fried components and an unstable system.

Edit: Beat to the punch by MadAdmiral.

That's what I get for trying to work and post at the same time. :)
I'm betting that PSU doesn't provide enough power for the 5870. I know it SAYS it's a 660W unit, but it's a POS. It likely doesn't provide enough juice and the fan noise is the unit's fan trying to cool it.

To test this theory, do you have a spare QUALITY PSU (i.e. a Corsair, Antec, SeaSonic, Silverstone or PC Power & Cooling) laying around? If so, switch out the PSUs and see what happens.

Did you have both 6-pin PCI-E power connectors plugged into your 5870. That Kingwin PSU is most likely the problem. All cheap PSU's are rated at their max voltage and can't constantly put out anywhere near that voltage. You should pick up a quality unit from Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, Seasonic, Antec, etc... A quality PSU is the key to a stable system. A cheap PSU in a system like that will almost guarantee fried components and an unstable system.

Edit: Beat to the punch by MadAdmiral.

That's what I get for trying to work and post at the same time. :)

Solution

dan12800

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
Ijust ordered the same card. Iread reviews about it. It says that there is a small speaker on the card and it will do a continious beep if its underpowered.

your PSU is the prob. Always get good quality PSU

eikone

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
Wow! You all are really bashing my PSU! :sarcastic: It really wasn't cheap (price wise) and I did research it in reviews. Actually, I wanted the KINGWIN Lazer 850W, but the (oh so helpful) sales associate at Micro Center assured me that it would be way more than I needed. That's what I get for trusting the "expert".

I did hook up the 6 pin, "Y" power cable that came with the GPU and I even tried connecting it using one of the modular 6 pin cables that came with the PSU.

I do have another new PSU (for my old system upgrade) but it is only a 450w, Thermaltake TR2 RX. I'm guessing that wouldn'd help any. I sure hate to have to go out and buy another PSU unless I'm 99.9% sure that really is the problem.

eikone

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
OK I just went out and bought a Corsair 750w (not modular, YUCK!), spent the last couple hours undoing all my great cable management to install the new PSU, did my best to "manage" this one's mess of tentacles, and started it up again,.... SAME FREAKING PROBLEM!!!!! :eek2: (and yes, I meant freaking, cause thats what I'm about to do! :pt1cable: )

So now what! All you super geeks out there, especially you who bashed my PSU, any more ideas, PLEASE! :ouimaitre:

eikone

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009

Sorry if you read the wrong attitude between the lines, but I AM WAITING FOR HELP. I've spent a lot of money and time on this system and, as I'm sure any one else would be, I'm very anxious to get this up and running. Especially being so close to completion, can you really say you wouldn't be a little impatient too.

I value the help available here in the "Tom's Community". That's why I've posted here for help. I just spent my last penny on the advice I received here and my backyard money tree shriveled up a looooong time ago. I didn't mind having to go out and get a new PSU if it would only have solved the problem. I can return it, if needed, but I'll wait until I get some more helpful ideas and advice in case I may need to swap it for some other problem solving gadget.

Trueno07

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
Well you've isolated the graphics card as the problem.

Is there any way you can plug it into another system, and see what happens?(remember to clear old graphics drivers if you're going to try that)

I would try that first, and try and return your card. Since the system runs fine without it, and it even works with another card... I can't imagine why it would be your system now.

Also, a better power supply could save you a lot of trouble in the future.. Think about it.

eikone

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
Was my PSU really that bad? Anyway, I did change it out for a much improved one and still came up with the same problem.

The card is HUGE ( 11") so it doesn't fit in too many cases and certainly no others that I (or anyone I know) has.

I'm going to see what I can do to get another one, I guess. I bought it in January but wasn't able to work on the build then. I don't know how that will effect my ability to return it. The dang thing cost $400! There better be something I can get done about it!

You won't be able to return it. Most places have a 30-day return policy. However, I'm 100% certain that you can send it back to the manufacturer and get a replacement. This is what warranties are for. Just go online to the manufacturer's website and see what the RMA policies are and make sure the warranty covers it.

You don't have to put everything in a case to have it work. Go to the standard troubleshooting thread (like's in my signature) and look at the breadboarding section.

And yes, your PSU WAS that bad. There's a reason every sticks to the trusted brands. A bad PSU can quickly make a good build go bad.

jevon

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004
Good luck eikone, I hope it goes quickly. Just wanted to chime in that a friend lost a beautiful, young motherboard to a Kingwin last summer. RIP :(

The amps on the 12+ rail is really the most important stat for PSU's, not the total wattage. The 12v rail powers the vid card and cpu. Glad you upgraded to the Corsair.

eikone

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009

Excuse my ignorance (again) but what should be the amps on the 12+ rail for the GPU I hope to eventually have in this system (all fingers are crossed,... hard... to... type... ugh... :lol: ).