Build Advice 1st build need help

Apr 22, 2020
I got lucky enough to have a friend donate a hp zworkstation case to me. It was a server e5 chip and has an LGA2011v3 socket.
The case had dual cpus has been stripped of both of those. I have alot of components i can use but i still have alot of questions.
Will stock fans work on an i7 5820k or 6800k? Do i even need a 6800k?
Recommendation on gpu? Was thinking gtx 1650 super. As i dont play truly demanding games.

Parts i do have.
Dell d12-925p1a power supply (925w)
2tb hdd
Stock cpu fan for both cpu slots
32gb ddr4 ram samsung x4
raid cache?? PN 795222-01https://www.ebay.com/itm/LSI-SAS-HP-9270-8i-795222-001-RAID-cachecade-Pro-2-0-MegaRAID-/312888376985

If i get my cpu and gpu would my case be good to go ? I would prefer and ssd for boot but is it necessary. Pls any any help or guidance is appreciated.

PCMDDOCTORS

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2015
A SSD is not needed for an OS to boot. I do have some concerns though.

1. That Power Supply is trash for any practical use especially if you are going to get a graphics card. You could wind up blowing your whole system or have it catch on fire, it's not uncommon.
  2. If you plan on getting a graphics card then it would probably have to be low profile to fit in that case, so you would be limited on the different low profile cards that are out there.
  3. Stock fans are pretty much universal. But for Intel I would not recommend it. They are horrible and ugly.
  4. For the price you are going to be paying you can get a cheap pre-built or just build one from scratch. You can get a cheap PC these days that can play most games in 1080p for about $400-$500.

If you have any more questions I am always here.

Apr 22, 2020
A SSD is not needed for an OS to boot. I do have some concerns though.

1. That Power Supply is trash for any practical use especially if you are going to get a graphics card. You could wind up blowing your whole system or have it catch on fire, it's not uncommon.
  2. If you plan on getting a graphics card then it would probably have to be low profile to fit in that case, so you would be limited on the different low profile cards that are out there.
  3. Stock fans are pretty much universal. But for Intel I would not recommend it. They are horrible and ugly.
  4. For the price you are going to be paying you can get a cheap pre-built or just build one from scratch. You can get a cheap PC these days that can play most games in 1080p for about $400-$500.

If you have any more questions I am always here.

Case is z640 hp, wouldnt this size be adequate?
Original gpu inside was a nvidia p6000d with 2 cpus. Even then the power supply couldnt manage a gaming cpu and gpu? The system before by no means was a slouch , just had e5 intel chips not i7s

Im really trying to take advantage of what i have and can build upon it. When you say horrible you mean im going to be running hot? I could care less what it looks like.

Last edited:

PCMDDOCTORS

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2015
Case is z640 hp, wouldnt this size be adequate?
Original gpu inside was a nvidia p6000d with 2 cpus. Even then the power supply couldnt manage a gaming cpu and gpu? The system before by no means was a slouch , just had e5 intel chips not i7s

Im really trying to take advantage of what i have and can build upon it. When you say horrible you mean im going to be running hot? I could care less what it looks like.

I'm Sorry, I have meant no disrespect. If you intend on using the stock coolers then that's ok as long as you don't overclock and yes it may be a little hot.
As for the Power Supply, but wattage yes it can technically handle a modern day graphics card. I don't recommend it. Also it's probably a proprietary part which means that it's only meant for that system and if you ever had to replace the motherboard for whatever reason then an adapter would be needed.

I hope all goes well for you and your project build. Again, I am sorry.

Apr 22, 2020
I'm Sorry, I have meant no disrespect. If you intend on using the stock coolers then that's ok as long as you don't overclock and yes it may be a little hot.
As for the Power Supply, but wattage yes it can technically handle a modern day graphics card. I don't recommend it. Also it's probably a proprietary part which means that it's only meant for that system and if you ever had to replace the motherboard for whatever reason then an adapter would be needed.

I hope all goes well for you and your project build. Again, I am sorry.
No problem at all! I appreciate the input.