[SOLVED] 1st build no response

idk159

Prominent
Apr 10, 2019
Hello, 1st time builder, i tried turning on my pc after completing my build (checking to see if i could reach bios). Nothing happened i got no response (none of my fans spun, monitor didnt detect hdmi cable plugged in), only my mobo led light turned on after a short delay.I thought my psu may be faulty so i tried the pin method (psu,case fan and pin) and my psu and case fan spun normally. Now im confused on what is faulty, my psu or mobo, or maybe something else ( maybe i did something wrong like my cabling). If it helps after turning my pc off my mobo led light turned off after a delay.

My parts: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pTgvJb
I can provide any pics needed

Solution
Good chance that motherboard is fried now. Pci-e and CPU power are opposite polarities so you just shorted the CPU power connector. The pins are also shaped different to try and prevent what you have done and would have required alot of force or modification to even plug it in.

The CX400 maybe old but it most definitely has a 4+4 pin cpu power connector.

idk159

Prominent
Apr 10, 2019
@Juular The seller who i got the motherboard from said the bios version was the latest so it should be compatible. Would that prevent my psu,case and cpu heatsink fan from turning on.

My exact psu model is a Corsair CX400 cmpsu, my build is a very budget one, hence no gpu only apu. So i bought a used antec case, which the psu came with.

idk159

Prominent
Apr 10, 2019
So could the ancient psu be the problem, because the cables the psu had were a problem tbh.
Here are some pics of how i connected the cables to my motherboard if this could perhaps provide an insight.
20200712_182759.jpg

20200712_182804.jpg
20200712_182808.jpg

idk159

Prominent
Apr 10, 2019
Because the psu i have doesnt really have any other cables i could use, im guessing this is starting to look like a psu problem. Forgive my low/limited knowledge but would something like cables really prevent my system and fans from starting? Would taking a picture of all the cables my psu has help by any chance?

bignastyid

Titan
Good chance that motherboard is fried now. Pci-e and CPU power are opposite polarities so you just shorted the CPU power connector. The pins are also shaped different to try and prevent what you have done and would have required alot of force or modification to even plug it in.

The CX400 maybe old but it most definitely has a 4+4 pin cpu power connector.

Solution
Because the psu i have doesnt really have any other cables i could use, im guessing this is starting to look like a psu problem. Forgive my low/limited knowledge but would something like cables really prevent my system and fans from starting? Would taking a picture of all the cables my psu has help by any chance?

That's not how it works, I'm afraid. You don't just shove whatever connector wherever. The PSU has multiple output voltages and in some cases, reversed polarity. You're lucky if you didn't fry your motherboard.

That PSU should have had a four pin to plug into that port. The 6-pin you're using is supposed to go into a discrete graphics card.

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
  1. Place that PSU in a plexiglass box as a antique piece of hardware to show off.
  2. Get a new PSU.
  3. Connect it right this time. Pray that you didn't fry this motherboard already.
  4. If motherboard still doesn't work there's a good chance you did fry it. But there's also slight possibility that the culprit is the RAM or you just didn't connect case front panel connectors right, you can try to just short PWR_BTN or PWR_ON jumper with a screwdriver without connecting it first, that's essentially what a button on the case does.

idk159

Prominent
Apr 10, 2019
Well thanks for the help guys ill get a new psu. If my mobo led still turns on does this mean i have a favourable chance that my mobo didnt get fried

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
You should have a 8 pin connector that splits into a 4 +4 pin.

idk159

Prominent
Apr 10, 2019
@Zerk2012 Ah damn, i assume you mean this, which i left unconnected.
20200712_202346.jpg

If i use the 4+4 pin connector now and my fans dont work and the system just doesnt function. Do i assume the mobo is fried? Also can i use either side of the 4 + 4 pin connector?

Last edited:

idk159

Prominent
Apr 10, 2019
Final question, would it be alright for me to just buy a new mobo and still use the same antique psu. But of course this time i do the cabling write and dont fry it. Or is it strongly advised i also buy a new psu.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
@Zerk2012 Ah damn, i assume you mean this, which i left unconnected.
20200712_202346.jpg

If i use the 4+4 pin connector now and my fans dont work and the system just doesnt function. Do i assume the mobo is fried? Also can i use either side of the 4 + 4 pin connector?
Yes that is what you should used split it in half and it will only plug in one way and one side of it. You probably fried the board or might even fried the CPU.