1st Computer Build: What To Put In It On A Budget

sick115

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
Ok, so I am new to building computers, and handling hardware altogether. I'm going to have some help from my brother who has built a few computers before by himself, and I haven't consulted him about anything that is going in it yet. I've been searching around Newegg and these forums for ideas of the best components I need to get, and this is what I have so far:

Case: GIGABYTE gz-ph1a3 Black SGCC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case (I'm not looking to change this unless absolutely necessary)

Power Supply: CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

Motherboard: ASUS M4A88TD-M/USB3 AM3 AMD 880G SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

Processor: AMD Athlon II X4 630 Propus 2.8GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor ADX630WFGIBOX

Graphics Card (UPDATED): SAPPHIRE Vapor-X 100283VX-2L Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ Eyefinity

DVD Drive: ASUS Black SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model DVD-E818A6T/BLK/B/G (Cheapest one I could find. Had great reviews, so why not?)

I am aware that I might be missing some stuff, and some of it can be improved.

So what do you guys think? My goal is to get the best stuff I can get while keep the cost well bellow $1000. I do a lot of gaming, and will definitely be doing some word processing for school.

Anyone have some ideas about Hard Drives and RAMs? I am going to use Windows 7 as my operating system.

falseg0d

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
Your cap is $1000? You're going to build a great rig my friend.
What exactly do you not need? Monitor, keyboard, mouse? Do you have the OS or do you need to buy one? speakers?
If you want to game, definitely upgrade that video card. Either a HD 5770 or a 4870/4890.
and go with Phenom's for gaming rigs. They generally perform better.
I like your choice in mobo, EXCEPT I would go with a regular sized one. If you go with the 6Gb/s on the mobo, pick a HDD that can utilize that.

sick115

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
I dont need a mouse or keyboard. I'm trying to get my brother to give me his monitor when he goes to college in a month (he has 2).
Exactly how well will this run? Will it run Modern Warfare on high graphics?
And I'm not getting this all at one time, I'm going to buy them all over time (I don't have a well-paying job) so it can be over $1000, I'm just impatient.

Edit: Can you help me out and link me to a good motherboard?

falseg0d

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
If you're not going to buy this anytime soon, I suggest you put the money away and come back when you have it, seeing as if I built you one now prices would drop, newer and better technology would come out, and the computer you started buying now wouldn't be that great later.
I could throw something together to give you an idea of what to look for in the furure, but again everything would change.

falseg0d

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
there should be a few things released, and I'm sure prices will drop, and combos will definitely change, meaning what I put together won't be together by that time. You could email me around the time you get enough money, or of course post on here.
friesftw@hotmail.com if you want to.

RandomText

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
I will second falseg0d's thoughts on waiting before purchasing items for the build. If you are interested in looking for deals in the meantime the case, psu, and hdd would be the only items I would consider buying early. Six months of even occasional reading should get you to a decent level of understanding in how to select parts for a system. More informed build = better build IMO