[SOLVED] 1st gen motherboard with a 2nd gen processor

Sep 5, 2018
I currently own a motherboard (a320m-hd2) supporting the 1st generation of ryzen, however, was wondering if I were to put a ryzen 5 2600x in it, would it work. at the moment I think that I would need to update the bios, but am not sure how to do so unless the 2600x works in the motherboard and the pc boots. thank you in advance.

Solution

There is no way to predict if it is updated. You could try it. It might boot or it might not. If not you will have to either take it to a computer store to get the BIOS flashed or borrow a 1st gen Ryzen.

kanewolf

Titan
You have an A320 motherboard but don't have a first gen Ryzen? How long ago was the motherboard purchased? New motherboards may have a sticker on the box saying they are 2nd generation compatible. If it doesn't you would have to take it to a shop and have the BIOS flashed.

Sep 5, 2018

it is second hand.

kanewolf

Titan

There is no way to predict if it is updated. You could try it. It might boot or it might not. If not you will have to either take it to a computer store to get the BIOS flashed or borrow a 1st gen Ryzen.

Solution
Sep 5, 2018

I have just organized to borrow a ryzen 5 1400 form a friend, thanks for your help!