Question 1st Gen Ryzens and Agesa 0.0.7.2

peptobismal

Reputable
Feb 16, 2019
So, I just finally got rid of the old FX and purchased a Ryzen 5 1600. There is a new BIOS update for the Asrock B450M Pro4 that I got downloaded but am weary of flashing as it states that it upgrades Agesa to 0.0.7.2 and there is no going back. All I can find on this is that it brings in like some 3rd Gen compatibility to prepare for those Ryzens to come out. The fact that the BIOS clearly states that you cannot go back after flashing it makes me wonder if this is okay for 1st Gen Ryzens and if it makes any difference positive or negative for it?

I am so used to FX and the old ways of overclocking that these constant abbreviations for features, lack of Bus Speed changing, etc. is really kind of confusing about how to best optimize this CPU to get the best performance out of it, I know RAM frequencies are really important and that's another thing that confuses the heck outta me is the NB frequency is locked to the RAM frequency from what I can see? I guess if anyone has a really good in depth guide on Ryzen overclocking I would be interested, because it is so different than what I am used to.

The ryzen 5 will work well with B450M without the BIOS update. Recommend to run the PC to see it will run fine or not. If it does, you don't have to update the BIOS. But if you feel comfortable to do, and go ahead, otherwise don't update the BIOS, because if you don't do it right, you will brick the MB.

peptobismal

Reputable
Feb 16, 2019
This has been the way it has been for a long time; however, you have always been able to rollback the BIOS and Asrock's site says that upon updating to the newest BIOS with Agesa 0.0.7.2 you cannot rollback. So, this is more so pertaining to is there any advantages to having the newer version at all on a 1st Gen Ryzen?

I just realized I misworded that and said "BIOS clearly states" when it should have been the website clearly states that you cannot roll back.

I am wondering because the RAM that I got for now is DDR-2400 but the SPD is 2133 so to get those speeds the XMP profile has to be used. The BIOS that came on the board, though I had set it to XMP 2400, would actually stay at 2133 after upgrading the BIOS to the one that updates AGESA to 1.0.0.6 the XMP profile values were maintained. And when you search that version it says that AMD enables Memory Overclocking... AGESA 0.0.7.2, though is much more vague as to what it actually is or does.

And this... https://www.overclock.net/forum/27885788-post1128.html so if this holds any water... I guess, I'll be holding off on it.

Last edited: