Question 1st Generation Ryzen

Oct 27, 2022
I have a 1st gen ryzen specifically Ryzen 7 1800X and a Asus TUF B450M Plus II. I was thinking of are there any B550 motherboards who could support a 1st gen ryzen CPU that also have ARGB header in it? I'm having problems with fan leds and I think its because of the motherboard aRGB header.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I don't believe so. I just looked up the B550 Tomahawk and "max" variant and neither of them will take a CPU older than 3xxx series.
Even with the motherboards such as 3xx and 4xx, once you update BIOS past a certain point they are 'not supposed' to work.

I have a 1st gen ryzen specifically Ryzen 7 1800X and a Asus TUF B450M Plus II. I was thinking of are there any B550 motherboards who could support a 1st gen ryzen CPU that also have ARGB header in it? I'm having problems with fan leds and I think its because of the motherboard aRGB header.

Officially they may say they don't support, but in reality they do. At least everybody I know who's tried it found it to work. The B550 Tomahawk (in particular) has the necessary components in BIOS (SMU version) to fully support Ryzen 1000 (Summit Ridge) CPU's; I've even used my 1700X on my B550m Tuf Gaming Plus for a while on the latest BIOS.

If you find a board you want to buy you can download the latest BIOS and check for SMU support yourself before committing the sale. The utility to use is called SMUChecker, available on GitHub. The latest I have is 1.2.2.0. It's easy to use and no installation is necessary: just unzip the distribution to a folder then drop the BIOS binary file on the SMUChecker executable and it reports out a list of SMU's in the BIOS and the CPU's they run on. It will also tell you the AGESA version, but only if AMD exposes it for reporting which they haven't reliably done.

Having said all that: if budget allows why not just update your CPU too. Even a 5600 or 5600X (with PBO and CO) will perform better than an 1800X and with a lot less drama. But a 5800X or X3d can make a great buy in a motherboard+CPU combo.

BETTER download location for UPDATES and info on CPU BIOS support on AM4. It's in German, so have your translator add-on ready if needed!
:

Last edited: