1st PC build for photo/video editing - advice please

Nov 8, 2018
I am planning to build my first PC for Photo/video editing. I have a bunch of components picked out that are on sale, can anyone tell me if this will be a good combination for my photo video needs.
-AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
-MSI Radeon RX580 ARMOR MK2 8GB DDR5
-Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming ATX Motherboard
-G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 2x16GB DDR4 3200mhz CL16 RAM
-Thermaltake Smart series RGB 600W 80 plus white PSU
-Samsung 960 EVO 500GB M.2
-Seagate Barracuda 4TB 3.5" SATA 5900RPM
-NZXT H500 Mid Tower

Would appreciate any advice/suggestions or things I've missed. Thank you from a novice.

Solution
I have just about the same system as you have typed out (though few differences but very similar and I too would NOT recommend that you get that power supply).

I would suggest that you get the EVGA SuperNova G3 650 or larger if you want. (I have the same power supply the G3 and its great!) I had a cheaper one before this one and it was junk.. an cheaper corsair 650 watt that I have laying under my desk as I thought about sending it back to get fixed being it still has a warranty.. but have not got around to it..)
The only thing that's questionable about your build would be that power supply. The Thermaltake smart series PSUs are not of great quality.
The EVGA SuperNova G3 650 will be a much better choice in terms of reliability.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($73.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $73.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-08 02:08 EST-0500

Also the Corsair CX650M will be great if you're on a tight budget.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $59.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-08 02:12 EST-0500

Nov 8, 2018

Thanks, noted. What are the likely problems that the Thermaltake I have may cause?

Doctor Rob

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
I have just about the same system as you have typed out (though few differences but very similar and I too would NOT recommend that you get that power supply).

I would suggest that you get the EVGA SuperNova G3 650 or larger if you want. (I have the same power supply the G3 and its great!) I had a cheaper one before this one and it was junk.. an cheaper corsair 650 watt that I have laying under my desk as I thought about sending it back to get fixed being it still has a warranty.. but have not got around to it..)

Solution
Nov 8, 2018

OK, I will make sure I do not get my listed power supply and will get your suggested one, appreciate the info.
If your system is similar, do you mind me asking how it is performing?

Doctor Rob

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
My computer is great! I went from an FX-8150 (with SSDs as well) and it was a night and day difference. I use my computer for work 70% of the time, and the rest is gaming. the programs I use are adobe products (mainly Dreamweaver and Photoshop), ms office, and a few others for work. They are way better now with this system over my old system. As far as gaming goes as I did start out with this computer being with my old video card (forget the model now) but went up to the RX 580 8GB edition from asus and its been very nice. NO complaints at all. stable as can be and with the ram I have (only 16GB flair x 3200Mhz CL14 ram) I have it set at 3333Mhz and have no issues with that on stock settings (I have not tried any faster.. I might later) but no timing changes, or voltage changes and its great with the board I have.. though I realize it may only be a FPS or two difference from what I have read online. but it works :)

I also run 3 monitors off the vid card.. an 4K (main monitor), an 2K (ultra-wide), and an 1080P older monitor. It drives them great for the work I do and games I play. though just an FYI if you run an 4K and want higher visuals and fps being it has to work 4times harder.. you need to turn the scaling down in the games you play (though that would be ANY computer with the RX 580 card / 1060 nvidia card if you had the 4K monitors).

My only complaint is how much RAM costs if you want the CL14 stuff and 32GB of ram.. I would like to move up to 32 with the Flare X ram but its way up there.

My lapotop has 32GB of ram but its of course slower ram and CL 16 if I remember correctly.. it is an intel CPU.. for me unless you are going entry level laptop systems the only real choice is intel.. but on a desktop I would go AMD Ryzen as its a better bang for the buck... though I did spend more then a basic intel system I am sure being I put in a new samsung NVMe drive, and water cooling. Though I had water cooling pre Ryzen with my old FX CPU.. so not really a big change other then I went from a thick small radiator to a thinner (just a little bit) much taller one.. (the 115i corsair AIO)

I also have an NZXT case though the Phantom Full Tower being that is what I had from my old system I had built.. didn't feel like buying a new one that would actually FIT the water cooling stuff. SO I had to modify the case a bit. But for me nothing new on that end being I have done that many times in the past from simple adding more cooling to modifying the power supply bay to fit a normal atx power supply on an older dell I had to fix for an company I worked for years ago when the old one died and it was not worth trying to get a special power supply from dell that would actually fit the case.

I also built an entry Ryzen 3 2200G system for my wife (mid tower with pink on it for her) (same ram I have in my current system and NVMe drive) main difference is the CPU and the small motherboard. and she loves it.. (went from an older AMD X4 950 I think it was) to the new 2200G for her (cost savings and it was faster) and she is very happy. she also plays WOW on it and it plays it without any issues even without an add in video card on an 1080P monitor. (only reason I did that for her is the old system was getting OLD and flaky.. it was moody lol.. so made her a new one. she has had NO issues with it at all.. for her system I figure once I feel its time to get a better Ryzen cpu I will give her my CPU and GPU (or get her an better one then it has built into the cpu) and get a new one for myself.. IF I had purchased an Ryzen 5 for my current computer I would be changing to the 2700x but being I have the 1800x the difference is not a lot so not moving up to that yet.

(also have an threadripper 1950 system and that is also rock solid (use it as a windows 2016 server with 3 NVMe drives in raid for the main drives.. though that was a pain to get it to work at first.. (the raid not the system)) and that is SUPER nice.. I could not justify going that route for my home system though. but for a system that has to run a few VMs I wanted something with a LOT of processing power.. that one has 64 GB of ecc ram so it runs 24/7 without a hitch.. unlike the old dell server I replaced (that one only had like 16GB of ram and an slow intel CPU.. though don't remember the model)

Doctor Rob

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
OH also I have seen a few deals on some new GPUs because of black friday stuff already. so if you are looking to build soon it may pay to wait a few more days (unless the parts you get are already on sale for black friday.. like a nice keyboard I just got.. an logitech mechanical one (the G910 orion spectrum that I am loving. (though still getting used to the different feel).. and just an FYI got this keyboard from bestbuy as its on sale now for black friday. Still darn expensive though coming from $50 and under keyboards. (if you do get one get a wrist wrest pad thing though as its not as nice as my old keyboard rest that had a MUCH larger one.. (I have big hands)

Nov 8, 2018

Thanks Rob, good to hear it works well.