[SOLVED] 1st time overclocked help

punkyfish

Prominent
Jan 26, 2019
Hi, could someone help me with settings for a stable overclock please? Never done it before, this is the PC I just built :

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Punkyfish/saved/#view=X8Hzf7

My youngest is complaining that the frame rate per second is poor, just watched him playing and it fluctuates enormously between 15 upwards. Have set extreme gaming mode in dragon centre which improved a bit but he bought something within the game and the frame rate dropped to 15.

He said my pc had better frame rates and that was without a graphics card Gigabyte Z390 board and i7 9700k.

Can anyone help as I am not a gamer, any advice on settings etc to improve gaming would be very much appreciated!

Thanks

Solution
Why the overclock at all? System doesn't really need it, the GPU is very light compared to the CPU, so it going to be the limit in games until that gets upgraded significantly.

I would revert to stock settings and see if the system performs properly. Only set the XMP profile on the memory and see what it does. Check/set power options in Windows to Maximum Performance while you figure things out, then back to Balanced to save some power.

What are the temperatures like? CPU could be throttling and causing your slow downs. CPU cooler is fine for stock, but I wouldn't trust a huge overclock with it.

Also make sure you have plugged the monitor into the GPU and not the motherboard. A common mistake for first time builders.

As for...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Why the overclock at all? System doesn't really need it, the GPU is very light compared to the CPU, so it going to be the limit in games until that gets upgraded significantly.

I would revert to stock settings and see if the system performs properly. Only set the XMP profile on the memory and see what it does. Check/set power options in Windows to Maximum Performance while you figure things out, then back to Balanced to save some power.

What are the temperatures like? CPU could be throttling and causing your slow downs. CPU cooler is fine for stock, but I wouldn't trust a huge overclock with it.

Also make sure you have plugged the monitor into the GPU and not the motherboard. A common mistake for first time builders.

As for overclocking, look at this guide:

Same rules apply across a generation, so this will work for the 10600k.

Solution

punkyfish

Prominent
Jan 26, 2019

As for overclocking, look at this guide:

Same rules apply across a generation, so this will work for the 10600k.
Great thanks so much for the help! What do you mean by ‘throttling’?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Computer components have in built temperature limits. When they are reached the CPU/GPU will reduce power consumption and reduce clock speeds. Or trigger a restart/shutdown. These days the system is fast enough to predict power draw and begin throttling early enough to keep the system from crashing.