1st time PC builder, just some static/grounding concerns

uncommonusername

Prominent
Feb 7, 2018
Just ready to get started building my first pc and I've done a bit of research regarding ways of avoiding building up static when building a pc to avoid damaging components. I'm just confused because there seems to be a lot of people who claim you don't even need to be that cautious. Since its my first time building I don't want top be completely careless, so I'm trying to find a middle ground at least.

I'm mainly wondering if I build on carpet, is it fine if I just wear shorts and no socks to avoid building up static? And also, should I build on the carpet itself and just place my conponents ontop of a box ? or is it fine if i build on a table while sitting crossed legged on a chair to avoid touching the carpet, and I suppose touch something metel anytime i have to get up and move?

Solution
Can you build on your kitchen table? maybe a desk?
Or maybe breakdown your case box, place it flat on your bed, and build on your bed. It may be a better option than building right on the carpet :D good luck

rhoban

Prominent
Mar 17, 2018
Do you usually experience static electricity in your house?

You can plug your power supply into an outlet with proper grounding.
When you're ready to build, touch the power supply, it should eliminate any static electricity.

omegadoom13

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
Can you build on your kitchen table? maybe a desk?
Or maybe breakdown your case box, place it flat on your bed, and build on your bed. It may be a better option than building right on the carpet :D good luck

Solution