1TB+500GB in Raid?

vascobrissos14

Reputable
Jul 14, 2015
Hello everyone, I have a question which is, can and should I raid two HDD's? 1 of them being a WD Caviar Blue WD101EZX (I think) 1TB 7200RPM 3.5'' and a older WD HDD 500GB 5400RPM I think. I was thinking of raiding them in raid 0 to get more speed on games and etc, cause I have an SSD with my windows on it. This raid would only be for mass storage. So, should I do it? Thank you

Solution
Should you? No, absolutely not. Different drives don't RAID well, and especially 7200RPM vs 5400RPM. When you understand what's happening on data readback you'll understand that the drives cannot be remotely synchronized so the blocks are all delayed and it doesn't really improve anything.

Can you? Absolutely! You'll end up with a 1TB RAID0 partition and a 500GB non-RAID partition. However, this 1TB is the 500GB disk plus the first half of your 1TB disk. The 500GB non-RAID partition is the second half of the 1TB drive.

If you put them in RAID1, you'd have 500GB of RAID1 (again, first half of the 1TB + entire 500GB disk), and 500GB of non-RAID (again, second half of the 1TB).

joex444

Distinguished
Should you? No, absolutely not. Different drives don't RAID well, and especially 7200RPM vs 5400RPM. When you understand what's happening on data readback you'll understand that the drives cannot be remotely synchronized so the blocks are all delayed and it doesn't really improve anything.

Can you? Absolutely! You'll end up with a 1TB RAID0 partition and a 500GB non-RAID partition. However, this 1TB is the 500GB disk plus the first half of your 1TB disk. The 500GB non-RAID partition is the second half of the 1TB drive.

If you put them in RAID1, you'd have 500GB of RAID1 (again, first half of the 1TB + entire 500GB disk), and 500GB of non-RAID (again, second half of the 1TB).

Solution