1TB evo 840 only shows 466gb of capacity

carlosriosness

Honorable
Aug 20, 2013
I have a 840 evo 1TB. I have tried to reformat it in windows, linux and OSX. each one only shows it as a 500gb drive.

samsung magician shows that the drive is labeled as "Samsung SSD 849 EVO 1TB", it also shows the matching serial to the 1tb sticker on the ssd itself, so it hasnt been swapped.

why would this drive be missing 500gb's all of a sudden?

https://imgur.com/282ozbK

https://imgur.com/yN6uHCp

dudmont

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015
How many TBs have been written to the drive(Magician will tell you)? It's not an ancient, but it's a new one either.
Either it's got a write protected chunk, that your OSs won't let you get to, or it's got half it's cells clonked out(not likely).

danthemanoz

Great
May 15, 2018
Maybe the partition isn't sized to take up the whole space on the drive. A screenshot from Windows Disk Management as per SkyNetRising's suggestion will show us if this is the case. You can access it in Windows 10 by pressing Win key + Q, type "Computer Management" and enter, then select "Disk Management" node in the tree view on right hand side.

dudmont

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015
Ok, the drive's fine. I'm really thinking you got a 500GB and not a 1TB. Cause you're pretty much at exactly half what a 1TB would be. I say that looking at my 840EVO 1tb info in Magician. My total capacity is 932GB(exactly 2x what you've got reporting).

BadAsAl

Distinguished
Notice that Samsung Magician reports that it is not in AHCI mode, this is a clue.
Do you have this in a laptop or desktop?
Check the BIOS and see what mode your SATA is in.
If it is a desktop, make sure you are plugged into an Intel SATA III port if you have Intel platfrom or AMD SATA III port if you have AMD.

carlosriosness

Honorable
Aug 20, 2013
the secure erase worked. you have to create a bootable thumb drive with samsung magician software. then boot off of it. literally the only option is secure erase (only works for samsung drives). then select the drive from the list. (1 for me).

mine said it was locked. so while the pc was on, i had to remove the sata POWER cable for a few seconds and plug it back in. hit enter, it searches again and again i selected the drive and it erased it. took about 5 seconds. when windows booted, it showed 931.5Gb when formated to NTFS.

EDIT: the problem reverted. i think half the memory modules are bad. i gave up. i am returning this drive. i thought i could fix it. i came close, but there must be some other issue with it beyond what i can see.

i did try to secure erase again, a few times, but now even that only brings it back to a 500gb drive. i still think this solution will work on a good drive with a weird formatting issue. but this specific drive is most likely just bad.