Question 1tb hard drive doing weird noises

Jun 26, 2019
hi, i have a 1 tb toshiba 3.5 inch hard drive. It works good and has still good performance, but sometimes while on idle, it does noisy ticks and i'm a bit concerned about it. I've done it crystaldisk info and mark and both seem to return good results as you can see here:
asdasd.png

Describing that weird noise, it's like there is a tick tick all the time, most of the time it does quietly but sometimes does it a lot noisier, and all the time like that. As words might not be enough, here is a recording about it: yt link (sorry for the noisy microphone but i don't have any better). I want to note that in the video, the hard drive is not connected to any computer, but it sounds as if it was on full load or something (that's the sound i say it's weird).

thanks for your time.

Urzu1000

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2013
Generally speaking, if a hard drive starts making sounds like that, it may be time to replace it before you lose data. At the very least make a backup of anything important on it.

I've had three similarly clicky HDDs, and of the three, two were dead within a few weeks of making those sounds. The other one is still performing admirably though despite being nearly eight years old now.

It could also be external noise too. Have you made sure it's secure so that it can't rattle in its enclosure?

Reactions: victor1idn918
Jun 26, 2019
Generally speaking, if a hard drive starts making sounds like that, it may be time to replace it before you lose data. At the very least make a backup of anything important on it.

I've had three similarly clicky HDDs, and of the three, two were dead within a few weeks of making those sounds. The other one is still performing admirably though despite being nearly eight years old now.

It could also be external noise too. Have you made sure it's secure so that it can't rattle in its enclosure?
Hi, it have been doing that sound for months, but i forget until today. I don't have important information on it, only torrents. I use it with an external dock and it seem to be stable on it.

Anyway i'll back up all important things on there. thanks for your advice.
victor.

Urzu1000

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2013
Hi, it have been doing that sound for months, but i forget until today. I don't have important information on it, only torrents. I use it with an external dock and it seem to be stable on it.

Anyway i'll back up all important things on there. thanks for your advice.
victor.

No problem :) If you're looking for a replacement or upgrade in the future I would recommend an SSD. They've come down in price a lot and you can get a decent 1TB SATA one for ~$90-$100 USD. Aside from being faster, they're nice and quiet, and are significantly less prone to failure than regular hard drives are. If you still plan to stick to the more traditional drives, HGST is probably the most reliable consumer brand out there.

Jun 26, 2019
No problem :) If you're looking for a replacement or upgrade in the future I would recommend an SSD. They've come down in price a lot and you can get a decent 1TB SATA one for ~$90-$100 USD. Aside from being faster, they're nice and quiet, and are significantly less prone to failure than regular hard drives are. If you still plan to stick to the more traditional drives, HGST is probably the most reliable consumer brand out there.
thanks but i still think hard drives are better for mass storage (large ssd's are still expensive as *), i still do ssds for all my boot disks including my windows xp machine heh, they are the best for that proupose.

hm i don't see the difference between wd black and blue. I found ones WD Blue much cheaper (even those are more expensive than the toshiba and seagate equivalents). I find WD Black too much expensive for what it has to offer (i think i heard they say those are more reliable but i'm more skeptical on that statement, at the end all hdd's fail lol)

thanks both for kind help

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks but i still think hard drives are better for mass storage (large ssd's are still expensive as *), i still do ssds for all my boot disks including my windows xp machine heh, they are the best for that proupose.

hm i don't see the difference between wd black and blue. I found ones WD Blue much cheaper (even those are more expensive than the toshiba and seagate equivalents). I find WD Black too much expensive for what it has to offer (i think i heard they say those are more reliable but i'm more skeptical on that statement, at the end all hdd's fail lol)

thanks both for kind help
Western digital is durable than other HDD model it's more like a Seaget ES. I have been using a Seagate ES type drive more that 8 years previously. very good but finally it failed couple of months ago then i moved to a new Seagate 2016 1TB hoping that would get the same sort of experience but trust me it's really bad. I'm pretty sure it will not last more than 4 years. But yes as you said everything do fail sooner or later.

Last edited: