1TB Hard Drive only showing as 100gb

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

supermantroll

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2014
Solution
The 1TB has to be formatted. In Disk management, right-click on it (the black part to the right, not the smaller box on the left) and select "new simple volume" and click through the wizard.

Steam itself is fine to install to the default location. Individual games installed though Steam will also give you the same option. Keeping a particular game on the SSD will speed up it's launch time but multiple games will chew up the space there quickly. You can either keep a handful of favorite games on the SSD and others on D:, remove old games from C as needed, or some combination of the above.

USAFRet

Titan

You're talking about two different things:
Download location
and
Install location.

Download the Steam installer to wherever you want.
Then, run the Install, and install it where you want. In this case, let it install to the C drive...the SSD.
After it is finished installing and Steam runs properly, you can go and DELETE the installer from where you originally downloaded it to. You don't need to keep it around.

USAFRet

Titan
But also...for any applications you install...do not let it just go through the defualt settings.
Click click go.

Select Custom or Advanced. and actually READ what each screen is telling you. Some things want to install other things, or change your default browser settings, or other silly things.
You can let it install to the default location on the C drive, but do read what it is actually wanting to do.

USAFRet

Titan

Games installed via Steam....the above links will do the trick.
Make some folder on the 1TB. Call it MyGames.
Tell your Steam client about it. Make it the default install location.
Thereafter, Steam will install to that location, unless you tell it otherwise.

supermantroll

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2014
Alright, I just want to thank both of you guys for helping me. I'm going to pick a solution just so the thread doesn't become filled, do you mind if I message you if I need any further assistance?

USAFRet

Titan

Further questions would be useful here in the thread instead of a PM. Other people will gain knowledge.

USAFRet

Titan

Steam games?
Like this:

Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png