Question 1TB Seagate 7200 rpm not detected not spinning up

spagooter

Reputable
Jun 29, 2020
Hey all, long time lurker first time poster.

I recently upgraded my Graphics Card and RAM to a Evga RTX 2060 and 2x8 Corsair Vengeance, posts into bios fine, but my HDD is not spinning up or even detected in bios. I have a evga supernova 750w 80+ gold psu so the drive definitely has enough wattage available. My bios settings are correct, the sata controller and ports are enabled et c, I've gone over everything in the bios and I know the settings are right. I've tried clearing CMOS. Updating the bios. Used new power cables and data cables. Tried every sata port on my Mobo. I really don't understand. Everything else works fine except this hdd and unfortunately it is my windows boot drive.

I have a sata to usb coming in the mail so that's my next step, and if that doesn't work I'm going to go to my brothers house and plug it into his mobo to see if it works.

Do I have any other options left besides those? I do have some sentimental pictures on the drive as well and I'd rather not have to send it in to a data recovery place.

InvalidError

Titan
Looks like you have tried just about everything you could without access to a different PC to try it on. I have at least one HDD that quit working in the PCs I have tried it on but still works perfectly fine in my external USB-SATA enclosures, so there is a slight chance of that working for you too.

Jun 29, 2020
Do you have an external hdd something you can pop open and use only the power side? It will spin up if only power is applied. Also investing in like a 5 dollar psu tester will be one your best purchases if your going to be a pc hobbyist. It has saved me a lot of time and from a lot of stress. Also take a look at the pins on the pins to be sure none are broken o. Power side