Question 1U Firewall/NAS/BOINC build

jonbuder

Commendable
May 3, 2020
Hi folks,
I am thinking about building a computer using a 1U short server case I have. I suspect the socket 1155 MicroATX motherboard in there is bad - got the whole thing used last year and had some crashes, now it just won't play ball. Troubleshot the RAM and such, seems either the CPU or board.

Currently using a Core 2 Duo HP desktop for pfSense as a home firewall & router. No complaints on reliability, and I got that system used in 2012. Still, I work from home a fair bit and do online classes and if it dies out at an inconvenient time that wouldn't be ideal. This system has a 4-port gigabit NIC, but it's got a half-height plate. The 1U case has a full-height sideways plate.

Considering a 12th-gen Intel build with an i3, of course I'd have to get a new 1U CPU cooler.

Has anyone done anything similar lately?

My idea was that for the price of a Netgate 2100 at about $350 I might be able to put together a multi-functional server that can run ESX-I with pfSense and Ubuntu (basic file share on a 2TB HDD I have, and contributing to distributed computing over BOINC), plus the capacity to add another temporary VM for learning experiments.

Then again, it's hard to argue against a refurbished HPE or Dell EMC server with a warranty. Just looking for opinions I guess.

Thanks in advance.
Jon

kanewolf

Titan
Hi folks,
I am thinking about building a computer using a 1U short server case I have. I suspect the socket 1155 MicroATX motherboard in there is bad - got the whole thing used last year and had some crashes, now it just won't play ball. Troubleshot the RAM and such, seems either the CPU or board.

Currently using a Core 2 Duo HP desktop for pfSense as a home firewall & router. No complaints on reliability, and I got that system used in 2012. Still, I work from home a fair bit and do online classes and if it dies out at an inconvenient time that wouldn't be ideal. This system has a 4-port gigabit NIC, but it's got a half-height plate. The 1U case has a full-height sideways plate.

Considering a 12th-gen Intel build with an i3, of course I'd have to get a new 1U CPU cooler.

Has anyone done anything similar lately?

My idea was that for the price of a Netgate 2100 at about $350 I might be able to put together a multi-functional server that can run ESX-I with pfSense and Ubuntu (basic file share on a 2TB HDD I have, and contributing to distributed computing over BOINC), plus the capacity to add another temporary VM for learning experiments.

Then again, it's hard to argue against a refurbished HPE or Dell EMC server with a warranty. Just looking for opinions I guess.

Thanks in advance.
Jon
Is 1U really required? The fans necessary on 1U builds are so noisy.