1x8GB RAM but only 4GB Total Memory

duckyfuzz

Reputable
Mar 12, 2015
Let me admit upfront, I don't know that much about hardware so any information provided is helpful.

Recently I purchased a combo deal from Newegg but notice the machine was running slower than expected. After poking around a bit I noticed that only 2.95GB was available to the OS which seemed alarmingly low. Immediately headed here to see what I could dig up but none of the solutions have pointed me in the right direction so I figured I should reach out.

Places I've looked to determine the issue and things I have tried:

Looked for configurations in the BIOS

Updated the BIOS

Made sure Maximum Memory was unchecked

Run Windows Memory Diagnostic

Reset the CMOS via jumper

All the bits and pieces...
Memory
Team Elite 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model TED38G1600HC1101

Processor
AMD A10-5800K Trinity Quad-Core 3.8GHz (4.2GHz Turbo) Socket FM2 100W Desktop APU (CPU + GPU) with DirectX 11 Graphic AMD Radeon HD 7660D AD580KWOHJBOX

Motherboard
ASUS A58M-E FM2+ AMD A58 FCH (Bolton D2) Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

Primary Drive
Kingston SSDNow V300 Series SV300S37A/120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Secondary Drive
Western Digital Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive

Case & Power Supply
LOGISYS Computer CS301BK Black solid 6.0mm SECC metal ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 480W Power Supply

OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit

Screenshots:
Windows Properties:
windows-properties.png

Advanced Boot options, maximum memory unchecked:
boot-advanced.png

BIOS Screenshots I thought might be relevant:
DSC_0028.JPG

DSC_0030.JPG

DSC_0031.JPG

UPDATE - 3/12/15 8:37pm
I set the BIOS defaults, no dice. Scouring through the BIOS I did not see Memory Overlap or Memory Remap settings, I didn't see anything memory related other than what's in the original screenshots I posted.

Running memtest86 it also reports less than 4GB memory which doesn't look good. At this point I'd assume faulty DIMM or an issue with the motherboard as the motherboard should support up to 16gb per channel (slot? I'm assuming those are interchangeable).

New Screenshots
DSC_0035.JPG

DSC_0030.JPG

DSC_0031.JPG

Matt Dobe

Reputable
Jan 20, 2015
Hmm, the bios is detecting 8GB ram installed but using only 4gm. Can you try setting your BIOS to defaults if you haven't already. Also have you tried running memtest86? (download and burn to disk/usb) boot into it and run a memory check to makes sure you don't have a faulty DIMM.

Andrew Murdoch

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013
Look for a setting called Memory Overlap or Memory Remap feature, handy on Asus boards. You might only be supporting 4gb per channel so 2x4gb would give 8gb but 1x8gb would only give 4gb, like it says at the top of your bios.

duckyfuzz

Reputable
Mar 12, 2015

I did not see anything in there. Been through it all and Googled all the things I did not understand so at least I learned something. Also note, I read through the motherboard manual to see if it had any information but nothing was helpful.

Right now I'm RMA'ing the RAM and will update the soltuion here when I get the new stick.

duckyfuzz

Reputable
Mar 12, 2015

RMA'd the RAM, waiting for the new stick to arrive. In the meantime I picked up two 4GB sticks (from the Qualified Vendor List) to test them out.

The sticks.

The BIOS recognizes the two sticks but is still reporting total memory of 4GB. At this point I'm questioning the motherboard.