2-1 beep error on Gateway Dx4300

Nov 13, 2018
Hello, I've been having on and off again problems for years with an older PC that I use for 3d modeling/rendering. Despite its age, it's still a decent machine for what I need, so I wanted to see if there was a fix before I invested in a new computer and had to reinstall all my software.

To give you some background information, it's a gateway dx4300. The problem that's come back yet again is that the monitor loses signal, and the PC must then be restarted. I thought this was a power supply problem, so I swapped out 300w for 400w last spring, but here I am again. And about half the time I do need to restart, the machine wont properly boot, giving me two short beeps, followed by one single beep and no display. (Keyboard and mouse do come on though, and I can ctrl alt del restart via keyboard).

I have reseatted the ram, which had worked in the past. But it is no longer working now and has given me this boot error for days.
What could be giving me this two beep followed by a single beep error message. The manufacturer of the motherboard is AMI.

Thank you very much for any help.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
You may need to replace the CMOS battery (small, round silver battery on the motherboard).
For a board of that era, chances are it's gone.

While some systems will post/boot without, others do not. Cheap and easy first troubleshooting step.

Nov 13, 2018

Thanks for the suggestions. I had tried that in the past, replacing the CMOS battery. It may not have turned on without the two beeps right away, but it eventually did after that. So I'm not sure if the CMOS battery was ever a cause, or I just got lucky. This time, because the battery is so hard to access, I attempted to reset the CMOS by the jumper. So far the problem remains, but we will see.

Nov 13, 2018

Just a few months ago when I replaced the power source (300w to 400w)