2.3 Quad Core vs 2.7 Dual Core

molooxp

Distinguished
May 25, 2010
Hi,

I'm trying to build a HTPC (home theater pc) and I'm trying to decide on a CPU.

I was wondering how a quad core differs from a dual core in media playback performance? And what is the dual core equivalent of a quad core and vice versa?

The two cpu's i was looking at were the:
AMD Phenom X4 9650 Quad Core Processor HD9650WCGHBOX - 2.30GHz, 4MB Cache, 1800MHz (3600 MT/s) FSB, Agena, Quad-Core, Retail, Socket AM2+, Processor with Fan 99$ after rebate
or
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ Processor ADO5200IAA5DO - 2.70GHz, Socket AM2, 1MB Cache, 1000MHz (2000 MT/s) FSB, Brisbane, Dual-Core, OEM - 29.99$ after rebate

Also if I buy an OEM processor would I have to buy a cpu fan seperately?

shreejan86

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
Quad Core means you have 4 cores in a single processor and dual core mean you'll have two cores in one processor. So performance of a quad core will be 4x and that of dual core will be 2x.

ksampanna

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010

You don't need a quadcore for an htpc. Even a dual core suffices for media playback capability. I assume you have an existing AMD AM2+ platform, considering the processors you've listed. Then just get the Dual core processor. From the money saved, you could get a nice soundcard or a TV tuner card. Look carefully if they mention about just a processor or a processor w/ cpu fan. Better go for the latter.
But if you're building a whole new htpc, then I'd say go with Intel's i3 530/540 + a Radeon HD 5450. With this system, you get all the bells & whistles like full HD support, 5.1 channel audio, video bitstreaming capabilities, etc.

lordszone

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006

Hi
for a htpc i suggest you go with the dual core. this is because, if i get it correct, you will only see movies or listen music on it right? so in that case the most intensive work your computer will ever do is to run blu-ray movies. so i suggest take the dual core and a 4000 or 5000 series vga card, the cheapest in those series. you will have a computer that can run any blu-ray video you throw on it. hope i helped.

loneninja

Distinguished
Dual core will perform the same for video play back, a quad is not needed. Also I wouldn't even touch that quad if your motherboard can support Athlon II. Athlon II will give you lower power consumption, higher clockspeeds, and even a slightly cheaper price.

And yes, if you buy an oem processor, you need to purchase a fan.

You do not need a quad core for simple playback. You will not notice any difference in video quality because there won't be any.

An EOM CPU means you need to buy the heatsink and fan.

Having said the above, my next HTPC will have a Q9450 quad core CPU. Typically when I upgrade I rip the guts of my current PC and stick 'em into my HTPC case.

*Facepalm*. It doesn't work like that.

For your uses get the dual core as everyone else has said. If you are building a new system, the Athlon II is a better choice. If you are building new, a 785G chipset with integrated graphics, 2GB of memory and an Athlon IIx2 2.8GHz would be enough.