[SOLVED] 2.4 and 5 ghz unreliable when video streaming

Jan 6, 2019
I have Xfinity internet going into a surfboard SB6183 modem and a linksys AC1750 router. I have the 2.4 and 5 ghz separated into 2 networks / ssids with names slightly different than one another. Sometimes my phone has issues streaming YouTube videos but most of the time I notice when I'm using Facebook messenger to video chat. When the signal drops I have to switch between 2.4 and 5 ghz otherwise the app will drop the call. It's both channels dropping, and depending on the length of the calls I have to keep switching between them. Has anyone experienced this or have a fix? Also my phone is prioritized on the linksys app for wifi.

Solution
Video chat unlike youtube video or netflix can not use tricks like putting a 5-10 second buffer to hide issues with wifi.

Your options are very limited on wifi. You can try other channels, try setting the channel width to force 20mhz. Note this will cut your top download speed.

It likely is interference from other wifi sources both inside and outside your house. You could try to find and eliminate those but it tends to be impossible when every neighbor seems to have multiple wifi routers/ap in their house.

Try to sit close to the router tends to be your best option when the device you are using can not use ethernet.
Video chat unlike youtube video or netflix can not use tricks like putting a 5-10 second buffer to hide issues with wifi.

Your options are very limited on wifi. You can try other channels, try setting the channel width to force 20mhz. Note this will cut your top download speed.

It likely is interference from other wifi sources both inside and outside your house. You could try to find and eliminate those but it tends to be impossible when every neighbor seems to have multiple wifi routers/ap in their house.

Try to sit close to the router tends to be your best option when the device you are using can not use ethernet.

Solution