[SOLVED] 2.4 GHz cannot connect & 5GHz stays online

shakes53

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2012
Hi,

I live in an uncrowded area with router-AP connections: (2.4GHz: -39dBm, 5GHz : -43dBm) ZyXEL EMG3425-Q10A
other networks in my area : -67dBm (2.4GHz) and worse
ISP: MetroNet

All devices (1 phone, 1 tablet, 2 desktops) were abruptly disconnected from the 2.4GHz network. The ssid was broadcast, but no devices could connect to it.
Meanwhile, the 5GHz network had no connectivity issues and internet access was available during this time.
2.4GHz service was restored after 5-10 minutes.

Can someone please explain?
In what scenario would a 2.4GHz network 'break' and 5GHz be unaffected?
  • maybe something to do with my ISP?
  • router-AP firmware?
Thank you!

Last edited:
Solution
Not the ISP. There are in effect 3 chips behind the router chip. Only the router chip talks to the ISP. The 2 wifi radios and a lan switch are behind the router. All devices connected to any of these chips all appear the same to the ISP since it only sees the routers mac address.

The radio chips pretty much are self contained processors they do not give much indication as to what they are doing. You router may have a log if you are lucky. This almost sounds like you have a physical problem with the 2.4g radio chip. You could try newer firmware but I would not expect much.

If it does not happen again it likely is not worth the effort to even do a update. It sound like a hardware failure to me though.

Now if you...
Not the ISP. There are in effect 3 chips behind the router chip. Only the router chip talks to the ISP. The 2 wifi radios and a lan switch are behind the router. All devices connected to any of these chips all appear the same to the ISP since it only sees the routers mac address.

The radio chips pretty much are self contained processors they do not give much indication as to what they are doing. You router may have a log if you are lucky. This almost sounds like you have a physical problem with the 2.4g radio chip. You could try newer firmware but I would not expect much.

If it does not happen again it likely is not worth the effort to even do a update. It sound like a hardware failure to me though.

Now if you really want a hacker theory it is possible to spoof your radio ssid and tell it to disconnect all the clients. Someone would have to be very close to do it and it serves no purpose other than to irritate you.

Solution