2.4 Ghz phone interference

Geo

Greetings,
I live in an apartment building and have had a flawless running wireless
network for months. Recently I've been getting dropped connections, which is
extremely frustrating. My guess is that a neighbour has picked up a 2.4 Ghz
phone, and when they use it, it zaps my connection.
I've tried changing the channel from 6, to 11, to 1. No difference. (I'm
using a linksys wrt54g btw)
Is is possible that a neighbours phone could cause this much interference?
How close does the phone have to be to cause interference? Short of breaking
down the door and beating their phone with a hammer (or asking them to get a
different one), what can I do about it?
Thanks!

you can try reducing the fragmentation threshold and RTS/CTS threshold

I set mine to 2321 and 2309 respectively and stabilised the network
considerably without affecting performance very much.

This applies to all parts of the network. Router,cards etc.

But the interference may be too severe for this to solve the problem. YMMV.

hth

philip ashley

"geo" <geo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Greetings,
> I live in an apartment building and have had a flawless running wireless
> network for months. Recently I've been getting dropped connections, which
is
> extremely frustrating. My guess is that a neighbour has picked up a 2.4
Ghz
> phone, and when they use it, it zaps my connection.
> I've tried changing the channel from 6, to 11, to 1. No difference. (I'm
> using a linksys wrt54g btw)
> Is is possible that a neighbours phone could cause this much interference?
> How close does the phone have to be to cause interference? Short of
breaking
> down the door and beating their phone with a hammer (or asking them to get
> different one), what can I do about it?
> Thanks!

My guess is that if you are using Windows XP, it is more likely that someone
has added a wireless network. Do you see any new SSIDs showing up in your
wireless networks? If that is the case, there are several things you can
do.

-- Be sure your SSID is unique.
-- Be sure you are broadcasting your SSID (Windows XP has a problem if it is
not in this case)
-- Disable the option to allow Windows to manage your wireless settings and
stop and disable the wireless zero configuration service. By doing this
assumes that your wireless adapter has its own configuration program that
you will need to use.

Jeff

"geo" <geo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Greetings,
> I live in an apartment building and have had a flawless running wireless
> network for months. Recently I've been getting dropped connections, which
> is
> extremely frustrating. My guess is that a neighbour has picked up a 2.4
> Ghz
> phone, and when they use it, it zaps my connection.
> I've tried changing the channel from 6, to 11, to 1. No difference. (I'm
> using a linksys wrt54g btw)
> Is is possible that a neighbours phone could cause this much interference?
> How close does the phone have to be to cause interference? Short of
> breaking
> down the door and beating their phone with a hammer (or asking them to get
> different one), what can I do about it?
> Thanks!

Geo

I am using XP Pro. When I scan for wireless networks, mine is the only one
that appears. Would another network interfere if they weren't broadcasting
their SSID? I am broadcasting mine, and it is unique.
Do you have more details regarding the wireless zero thing... I've never
heard of it.

"Jeff Durham" wrote:

> My guess is that if you are using Windows XP, it is more likely that someone
> has added a wireless network. Do you see any new SSIDs showing up in your
> wireless networks? If that is the case, there are several things you can
> do.
>
> -- Be sure your SSID is unique.
> -- Be sure you are broadcasting your SSID (Windows XP has a problem if it is
> not in this case)
> -- Disable the option to allow Windows to manage your wireless settings and
> stop and disable the wireless zero configuration service. By doing this
> assumes that your wireless adapter has its own configuration program that
> you will need to use.
>
> Jeff
>
> "geo" <geo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Greetings,
> > I live in an apartment building and have had a flawless running wireless
> > network for months. Recently I've been getting dropped connections, which
> > is
> > extremely frustrating. My guess is that a neighbour has picked up a 2.4
> > Ghz
> > phone, and when they use it, it zaps my connection.
> > I've tried changing the channel from 6, to 11, to 1. No difference. (I'm
> > using a linksys wrt54g btw)
> > Is is possible that a neighbours phone could cause this much interference?
> > How close does the phone have to be to cause interference? Short of
> > breaking
> > down the door and beating their phone with a hammer (or asking them to get
> > different one), what can I do about it?
> > Thanks!

Also, I meant to mention that you could try a different channel. Try 1, 6,
or 11. These are the only non-overlapping channels.

Jeff

"Jeff Durham" <jdurham.outdoor.life@cinci.rr.com> wrote in message
> My guess is that if you are using Windows XP, it is more likely that
> someone has added a wireless network. Do you see any new SSIDs showing up
> in your wireless networks? If that is the case, there are several things
> you can do.
>
> -- Be sure your SSID is unique.
> -- Be sure you are broadcasting your SSID (Windows XP has a problem if it
> is not in this case)
> -- Disable the option to allow Windows to manage your wireless settings
> and stop and disable the wireless zero configuration service. By doing
> this assumes that your wireless adapter has its own configuration program
> that you will need to use.
>
> Jeff
>
> "geo" <geo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Greetings,
>> I live in an apartment building and have had a flawless running wireless
>> network for months. Recently I've been getting dropped connections,
>> which is
>> extremely frustrating. My guess is that a neighbour has picked up a 2.4
>> Ghz
>> phone, and when they use it, it zaps my connection.
>> I've tried changing the channel from 6, to 11, to 1. No difference.
>> (I'm
>> using a linksys wrt54g btw)
>> Is is possible that a neighbours phone could cause this much
>> interference?
>> How close does the phone have to be to cause interference? Short of
>> breaking
>> down the door and beating their phone with a hammer (or asking them to
>> get a
>> different one), what can I do about it?
>> Thanks!

Hi Jeff,
They are non overlapping when used with each other, but so are 2 and
7. The trick is to find a channel that does not overlap with what the
other 2.4GHz device is using. So if the other network is using channel
3, you'd have to use 8.

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 23:03:20 -0400, "Jeff Durham"

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

Do a google newsgroup search of this group for "wireless zero
configuration". You will see plenty of postings for it. You could add my
name to the search as well. :)

Jeff

>I am using XP Pro. When I scan for wireless networks, mine is the only one
> that appears. Would another network interfere if they weren't
> broadcasting
> their SSID? I am broadcasting mine, and it is unique.
> Do you have more details regarding the wireless zero thing... I've never
> heard of it.
>
> "Jeff Durham" wrote:
>
>> My guess is that if you are using Windows XP, it is more likely that
>> someone
>> has added a wireless network. Do you see any new SSIDs showing up in
>> your
>> wireless networks? If that is the case, there are several things you can
>> do.
>>
>> -- Be sure your SSID is unique.
>> -- Be sure you are broadcasting your SSID (Windows XP has a problem if it
>> is
>> not in this case)
>> -- Disable the option to allow Windows to manage your wireless settings
>> and
>> stop and disable the wireless zero configuration service. By doing this
>> assumes that your wireless adapter has its own configuration program that
>> you will need to use.
>>
>> Jeff
>>
>> "geo" <geo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Greetings,
>> > I live in an apartment building and have had a flawless running
>> > wireless
>> > network for months. Recently I've been getting dropped connections,
>> > which
>> > is
>> > extremely frustrating. My guess is that a neighbour has picked up a
>> > 2.4
>> > Ghz
>> > phone, and when they use it, it zaps my connection.
>> > I've tried changing the channel from 6, to 11, to 1. No difference.
>> > (I'm
>> > using a linksys wrt54g btw)
>> > Is is possible that a neighbours phone could cause this much
>> > interference?
>> > How close does the phone have to be to cause interference? Short of
>> > breaking
>> > down the door and beating their phone with a hammer (or asking them to
>> > get
>> > different one), what can I do about it?
>> > Thanks!

i've got sort of the same problem, but i've got the phone downstairs.
and when i take my laptop downstairs, it just disconnects. i have 3 wireless
connections showing in the windows wireless connection window. how do i know
which one to delete and which one to keep?

i've got a belkins wireless router, with a wireless card on my laptop.

thanx

devin

> Do a google newsgroup search of this group for "wireless zero
> configuration". You will see plenty of postings for it. You could add my
> name to the search as well. :)
>
> Jeff
>

> "geo" <geo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am using XP Pro. When I scan for wireless networks, mine is the only
one
> > that appears. Would another network interfere if they weren't
> > broadcasting
> > their SSID? I am broadcasting mine, and it is unique.
> > Do you have more details regarding the wireless zero thing... I've never
> > heard of it.
> >
> > "Jeff Durham" wrote:
> >
> >> My guess is that if you are using Windows XP, it is more likely that
> >> someone
> >> has added a wireless network. Do you see any new SSIDs showing up in
> >> your
> >> wireless networks? If that is the case, there are several things you
can
> >> do.
> >>
> >> -- Be sure your SSID is unique.
> >> -- Be sure you are broadcasting your SSID (Windows XP has a problem if
it
> >> is
> >> not in this case)
> >> -- Disable the option to allow Windows to manage your wireless settings
> >> and
> >> stop and disable the wireless zero configuration service. By doing
this
> >> assumes that your wireless adapter has its own configuration program
that
> >> you will need to use.
> >>
> >> Jeff
> >>
> >> "geo" <geo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Hmmm..I wonder what type of phone your neighbor has.

I have a 2.4G phone system also and I get no interference w/ my laptop
and pda streaming data and music. I have the following wireless settings:

beacon int: 100ms
rts thres: 2346
frag: 2346
dtim int: 1
short preamble, no broadcast, auto cts mode, superg w/o turbo 802.11g
only mode off.

I use dhcp and static address w/ mac filtering, but that may not affect
your situation.

Good luck-I hope you get it resolved; this networking stuff is fun when
you get it to work;-)