News $2.4 million Texas home listing boasts 'Full Liquid Cooling Immersion System' and 5,786 sq ft data center built in

I wonder how they got a permit for that. All the houses around it were built around 1960 so no HOA to stop them i guess.
Seems it was once owned by ATT but it is strange they would put it in a older residential area.

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
I wonder how they got a permit for that. All the houses around it were built around 1960 so no HOA to stop them i guess.
Seems it was once owned by ATT but it is strange they would put it in a older residential area.
You mean AT&T - the phone company? Maybe there was a local switching station there? That could explain how the location didn't need to be re-zoned for it.

jlake3

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2014
I'd bet that at the same time they were building out those houses they were building out the telecom infrastructure in the area, and someone involved with city planning asked them to dress it up as a fake house rather than an unsightly concrete bunker. Eventually improvements in switching and infrastructure meant ATT no longer needed the building, but possibly due to zoning and all the network infrastructure burred on the property, it couldn't be turned back into a residential property.

Not sure if the immersion cooling and crypto mining makes sense, but feels like there might be a niche for being some type of off-site compute or data storage for clients in the Dallas area? Low latency, you can drive over and check on things if need be, and it's a second location that sounds pretty disaster resistant.

Reactions: bit_user

PEnns

Reputable
Apr 25, 2020
Except for why that building was permitted in a residential zone!
It's Texas. Anything goes and where regulations and ordinances (even if they exist) are meant to be ignored or bypassed.

Heck, the governor even advertises the "no-cumbersome laws or ordinances" aspect to lure businesses, shady or otherwise.

Bonzadog

Commendable
Jul 3, 2021
I could imagine some professional e-sports organization buying it.

Looking through the pics, that cinderblock hallway with the (seemingly) bullet proof window really caught me by surprise.
E-Sports - no such thing. Gaming is not a sport it stops one from doing creative things.

TechLurker

Reputable
Feb 6, 2020
I'm not interested in buying it even if I had the money, but I do enjoy stories of false facades done to hide what was really in them. In fact, some things like this were common way back when, with a fake house built just to provide a cover for a community's phone service switchboard, or later, some of the early cable or internet lines.