[SOLVED] 2.4g is way faster than 5g in the same room as router but still not close to the 300Mbps I am paying for (brand new Netgear C7000v2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 2, 2022
I recently upgraded my internet package to 300Mbps download speed. When I tested the speed on Speedtest.net, it only shows 60Mbps on 2.4g and only 30Mbps on 5g. This is how my internet has always been at my house, so I just figured it was normal. I have recently discovered that 5g should be WAY faster...especially in the same room as the router. So I just bought a Netgear C7000v2 and hooked that up. I figured that my 12 year old router probably needed an upgrade and hoped this would solve the problem. It did NOT solve anything. It is all the exact same as before. I tried calling the cable company and they have no answers. I confirmed that my new router/modem has the latest firmware already installed. Do any of you know what could be causing this issue? They have sent multiple technicians to "check my lines and install new fittings" but that never changes anything. Any help would be much appreciated.

Solution
I recently upgraded my internet package to 300Mbps download speed. When I tested the speed on Speedtest.net, it only shows 60Mbps on 2.4g and only 30Mbps on 5g. This is how my internet has always been at my house, so I just figured it was normal. I have recently discovered that 5g should be WAY faster...especially in the same room as the router. So I just bought a Netgear C7000v2 and hooked that up. I figured that my 12 year old router probably needed an upgrade and hoped this would solve the problem. It did NOT solve anything. It is all the exact same as before. I tried calling the cable company and they have no answers. I confirmed that my new router/modem has the latest firmware already installed. Do any of you know...
Who is your service provider?

What is the model of your cable modem or DSL router, as these are generally separate from your actual router. Not always, less these days, but in general.

What is the device you are connecting through it with and if it's a laptop or PC, what is the model of your network adapter?

Mar 2, 2022
Who is your service provider?

What is the model of your cable modem or DSL router, as these are generally separate from your actual router. Not always, less these days, but in general.

What is the device you are connecting through it with and if it's a laptop or PC, what is the model of your network adapter?

It is a Netgear C7000v2 Modem/Router combo now. My service provider is Mediacom (cable internet). I have tried connecting on my iPhone12, my brand new HP laptop, and also an iPad Pro...all with the same results. This has actually been happening for the past 6 years since I've lived in my home. I am just now realizing that it is actually a problem. When I upgraded my cable internet package to the 300Mbps recently...I expected a jump in performance, which is why I am finally realizing that I have been living with this weird slow 5g for quite a while. I thought that upgrading my old router would at least help out...but nothing different at all.

Mar 2, 2022
Unfortunately, my laptop does not have an ethernet port...so I am unable to do that. My TV is connected via ethernet and it seems to be running just fine...but I don't know how to check the speed from the TV directly.

Since it is multiple devices and you have replaced the router it is more likely it is something wrong with the internet connection.

Unfortunately without ethernet to test this the ISP will always blame your wifi.

Pretty much the test you need to do is to plug directly into the modem with a device and show the ISP the speed is wrong.....or if it tests fine then you can try to figure out why your testing is wrong. When you plug directly into the modem it gets harder for the ISP to claim it is your equipment

Not sure what to suggest. Some routers have a speedtest function on the router but I don't see that on your with a quick look in the router.

I recently upgraded my internet package to 300Mbps download speed. When I tested the speed on Speedtest.net, it only shows 60Mbps on 2.4g and only 30Mbps on 5g. This is how my internet has always been at my house, so I just figured it was normal. I have recently discovered that 5g should be WAY faster...especially in the same room as the router. So I just bought a Netgear C7000v2 and hooked that up. I figured that my 12 year old router probably needed an upgrade and hoped this would solve the problem. It did NOT solve anything. It is all the exact same as before. I tried calling the cable company and they have no answers. I confirmed that my new router/modem has the latest firmware already installed. Do any of you know what could be causing this issue? They have sent multiple technicians to "check my lines and install new fittings" but that never changes anything. Any help would be much appreciated.
Providers talk in megaBITS per second (Mbps). Your equipment reports in megaBYTES per second (MB/sec). Capitalization is everything here. 300Mbps is ~30MB/sec, which is correct for what you are seeing on your 5g connection. There is no problem here.

Solution
Mar 2, 2022
Since it is multiple devices and you have replaced the router it is more likely it is something wrong with the internet connection.

Unfortunately without ethernet to test this the ISP will always blame your wifi.

Pretty much the test you need to do is to plug directly into the modem with a device and show the ISP the speed is wrong.....or if it tests fine then you can try to figure out why your testing is wrong. When you plug directly into the modem it gets harder for the ISP to claim it is your equipment

Not sure what to suggest. Some routers have a speedtest function on the router but I don't see that on your with a quick look in the router.
I just logged in to my router using routerlogin.net and looked at the 5G network. I noticed it said Channel 153…so I changed it to Channel 100 (picked randomly) and all of the sudden my speeds are up to over 300Mbps using 5G now. No idea what I did, but hopefully it works this well moving forward. Thank you for the help!!!

This is exactly what I am saying. It is the only answer that even makes any sense. Sometimes the answer is, not what you want. When you have hardware that you can't actually use to test the connection to see if ANY part of it is actually stable and reliable, well, mostly, you've established nothing then. And, like ex_ said, often the problem is that you are misunderstanding the MB vs mb which are distinctly not the same. This is why I asked about ISP, plan and also why it's always good to see screenshots.

I just logged in to my router using routerlogin.net and looked at the 5G network. I noticed it said Channel 153…so I changed it to Channel 100 (picked randomly) and all of the sudden my speeds are up to over 300Mbps using 5G now. No idea what I did, but hopefully it works this well moving forward. Thank you for the help!!!
I am glad it worked. It is not uncommon for some channels to work better than others. It is very strange that 2 routers caused the same issue. and they picked the same channels. I am somewhat surprised you could set it to channel 100. That channel has all kinds of restrictions on it and in many countries you can not manually configure it.
Generally channels around 40 are the ones allowed pretty much anywhere and the second block around 150 is also very common.

Reactions: Darkbreeze
Status
Not open for further replies.