[SOLVED] 2 4GB memory sticks and 1 8GB memory stick together?

Nov 17, 2019
Hello and thanks for the help. I have a MB with 4 memory slots, right now I have 2 4GB sticks and 2 slots empty, so I wanted to add 8 GB more, but is cheaper to buy 1 stick of 8 GB than 2 of 4GB. Also, my MB supports 2133 and the memory would be 2400. I know it's not ideal, but would work?

Solution
It should work, but is weird. You could go for another 2x4GB of the same memory sticks, but 4 sticks dual channel may have some issues and its harder to overclock. Also your memory is slow (2133mhz).
If you put 2x4 and 1x8 you will have 16gigs but you will lose dual channel performance and its very posible that you will have issues too.
Last and most recommended is to sell (if you want) your current memory and go for 2x8GB 3000 mhz kit.

Lutfij

Titan
You should ideally list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

in order for us to get a better picture to your upgrades. I will not suggest mixing and matching different sticks of ram, regardless of the brand being the same.

You either go for a 2x8GB Kit or you settle with buying the same 2 sticks of ram. Speaking of which are the existing two sticks of ram the same make and model?

Nov 17, 2019
You should ideally list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

in order for us to get a better picture to your upgrades. I will not suggest mixing and matching different sticks of ram, regardless of the brand being the same.

You either go for a 2x8GB Kit or you settle with buying the same 2 sticks of ram. Speaking of which are the existing two sticks of ram the same make and model?
CPU: Intel Core i5 6500
MB: Gigabyte H170-Gaming3
Ram: 4GB x2 Kingston HyperX fury 2133MHz DDR4 Non-ECC CL14
SSD: Kingston 250GB
HDD: Barracuda 1TB
GPU: Nvidia Gforce GTX 970
PSU: EVGA Supernova 650 GS
Chassis: Corsair Spec-03
Yeah the 2 existing sticks are the same, my problem is that I can't find more of the same to upgrade, that's why I'm struggling.

Encryption+

Upstanding
Sep 26, 2019
I know it's not ideal, but would work?
Would it work, maybe. Would I recommend risking your money on it, probably not. I'd recommend either of these options which will both give you the total of 16GB of RAM that your looking for.

Option 1: Get 2x8 GB RAM sticks like these for fifty-five bucks. This would be the best option.
Option 2: Get one stick of 16GB RAM like this for fifty which won't perform quite as well as the two 8GB sticks.

Reactions: Ofterdingen

Giannis_Mag

Reputable
May 24, 2017
It should work, but is weird. You could go for another 2x4GB of the same memory sticks, but 4 sticks dual channel may have some issues and its harder to overclock. Also your memory is slow (2133mhz).
If you put 2x4 and 1x8 you will have 16gigs but you will lose dual channel performance and its very posible that you will have issues too.
Last and most recommended is to sell (if you want) your current memory and go for 2x8GB 3000 mhz kit.

Solution