2.4Ghz non-overclocked, overheating!!! Help

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
I recently bought a new 2.4Ghz P4 (b) and I'm using an Akasa AK-670 Pentium IV Cooler which is rated up2 2.53Ghz but after playing UT2003 for about 25mins the motherboard temp alarm came on,it is set to come on at 55degrees C so I was kinda worried. Should my CPU be gettin this hot? I thought P4s normally ran very cool?

On a completly different note if neone using RDRam wants to post there SiSoftSandra memory results so I can compare them to my PC3200 DDR score it would be much appreciated.

Why use windows when you can use doors?

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
I'm using the stock Intel HSF with my P4 2.4B and after running 3D Mark, I get temps of ~35C. Highest temps I've gotten were 39C overclocked to 2.84GHz.

...And all the King's horses and all the King's men couldn't put my computer back together again...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It's possible that your "high end cooler" is not as good as the stock Intel retail boxed cooler.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
P4's are not Cool running CPU's like everyone thinks.....there just as hot if nto hotter than the equivelant AMD Athlon XP chip......

As crashman stated though.....your cooler is most likely not up to snuff....that or u have very poor case ventilation...try adding a case fan at the front for air intake and one at the back for exhaust...

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>

shallowbaby

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2002
what's the temp before playing UT2003?

take your Akasa p4 hsf out, replace with stock hsf, boot to windows and get temp reading. then reinstall Akasa p4 hsf, boot to windows and get temp for comparison.

55c isn't going to be an issue unless you get frag and kick your tower over, thereby breaking off your hsf and worse: your game.

<font color=green> there's more to life than increasing its speed -Ghandi</font color=green>

Dark_Archonis

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2002
It shouldn't run THAT hot with your stock Intel cooler. Take off your Alaska, and put on the stock INtel HSF, and see what temperature you get. As Crashman stated, your Alaska cooler probably isn't as good as the Intel cooler. It may sound surprising, but Intel's stock coolers are very good. They are, in fact, comparable to many high-end third-party coolers.

MeTaLrOcKeR, in fact, P4's ARE the cool running CPU's that everyone says they are (referring to Northwoods). If your P4 Northwood is running over 50 C at stock clock speed, then something is wrong there. That means either your cooler isn't good enough, or that it's not installed properly. Clock for clock, Athlon XP's run considerably hotter, since they output more heat per mm^2. Overall, a 2.8 P4 actually outputs less heat than an Athlon XP 2800+ even though the P4 runs at a clock frequency 550Mhz higher than the 2800+.

- - -
<font color=green>All good things must come to an end … so they can be replaced by better things! :wink: </font color=green>

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
I would use my Intel cooler but I accidently removed the black pad thing from the bottom. Can I use it without this pad? Can I get another one?

Why use windows when you can use doors?

Dark_Archonis

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2002
Well, I wouldn't recommend using it without the pad. You can try, but I'm doubtful that it will work properly and efficiently. You can most likely get another pad, and it won't cost you very much. Just go to your local computer shop and ask them if you can get that specific pad. Or, you can probably trade in and sell your Alaska for a new Intel HSF, if you want to. If I were you, I would just get the pad.

- - -
<font color=green>All good things must come to an end … so they can be replaced by better things! :wink: </font color=green>

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Just get some thermal grease somewhere. I believe Radio Shack sells it, or if you want some higher quality stuff, get some Arctic Silver III.

...And all the King's horses and all the King's men couldn't put my computer back together again...