Question 2.5" drive, 3.5" carrier... and no matching holes

jhsachs

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
I'm building a computer in a classic Antec Sonata case. I'm puzzled by how to mount a 2.5" SSD in one of the case's 3.5" drive caddies. I'd like to do it the right way, but what is the right way?

The caddies have two holes on each side, both near the front. None of 2.5-to-3.5 adapters I've found have matching holes. The best I could do is attach an adapter with one screw on each side, and that can't be right!

The caddies also have four small holes and four large holes on the bottom. The small holes are positioned for bottom-mounting a 3.5" drive; I've used them that way in the past. But none of the adapters I've found have holes for bottom-mounting, either.

jhsachs

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
Great minds run in the same channels. :) I mounted the drive on a 2.5-3.5" adapter, which is about 1/2" too narrow to fit the caddy snugly, and attached it to the caddy with long-life (latex-free) elastic bands, one to the left of the drive and one to the right. It bothers me to put a kludge in my beautiful new computer before it's even fully assembled, but once the case is closed up I'll probably forget about it!

Reactions: boju