[SOLVED] 2.5 inch HDD making sharp grinding sound

wm3797

Reputable
Apr 7, 2020
WD 2.5inch HDD. The head of the actuator arm is scratching the platter and making a sharp grinding sound. And computer is not detecting the HDD

Solution
If you have essential data on the HDD with no backup, there are data recovery outfits that will try to recover data for you. Be prepared, the cost may be in $thousands.

If you can still read the hdd despite the sounds, copy it all asap, preferably to a ssd with no moving parts.
If you have essential data on the HDD with no backup, there are data recovery outfits that will try to recover data for you. Be prepared, the cost may be in $thousands.

If you can still read the hdd despite the sounds, copy it all asap, preferably to a ssd with no moving parts.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
Can I retrieve the data by putting the platters in another hdd ?
The damage is almost certainly already done.
If the thing is making "grinding" noises, and is inaccessible....any 'fix' for this is far beyond a kitchen table solution.

Was there any critical life changing data on this?
"life changing" = divorce, fired from your job, the only copy of your doctoral thesis....

For future reference:

LolaGT

Reputable
Oct 31, 2020
Hope it was just a gaming PC and nothing important was on it.
While I am very lax in doing official routine backups I do tend to keep things I don't want to lose copied in several places(three or four other drives, cloud storage, etc). I could not care less about win10, but things that would take forever to find and or download again, yeah.

wm3797

Reputable
Apr 7, 2020
The damage is almost certainly already done.
If the thing is making "grinding" noises, and is inaccessible....any 'fix' for this is far beyond a kitchen table solution.

Was there any critical life changing data on this?
"life changing" = divorce, fired from your job, the only copy of your doctoral thesis....

For future reference:
I dont know the correct term to describe the sound. But sounds like nails on a chalkboard. Is it still gone?