2.5 TB HDD Expected in 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
well this is an issue for people that don;t have good raid cards, the lack of support for 64bit LBA in motherboards will render these HDD's useless (without the 64bit LBA you can't have volumes, not partitions, over 2TiB)

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Wow...
At 3-8GB a game (assuming 5 for average), that's 500 games for me to pirate on a 2.5GB drive... That's 29 days at max bandwidth downloading for me... wow. My ISP would absolutely hate me (and fine me).

NikeWK

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009
Also, it has been said about 2.5 inch drives
"will enter manufacturing this month and slip into mass production by December"
So when are they coming out? Could it be a mistake?

jdog2076

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Why is it every time there's news about a upcoming larger-capacity hard drive someone always comments "who would ever need that much space!" Guys, *it depends what you do* with your computer that determines how much space you need. If all you use your computer for is "normal" things like web surfing and word processing then no, you don't need much storage. But (case in point) if you're involved in video production you realize that digital video eats hard drive space for breakfast (36 Mbps for DV). There is always a need for more storage.

830hobbes

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
Yawn. I could have told you there will be 2.5TB HDDs next year. Storage space is skyrocketing and we're at 2TB now. So... where's the news in this?

LegendaryFrog

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
"I can see into the future.

I predict, that around 1012, 5GB Hard Drives will be on the market.
1GB SSD Drives will be $500"

The only place I will be able to find a 5GB hard drive is in my father's old computer from the mid-90's.

G

lol i have a 2tb drive filled to the brim and a 500gb drive filled to the brim both external ones iomega and the other is western digital. both have worked great.. no issues but my thing is i can always use more space.. i could easily fill another 2 tb drive im running a home media center i have lots of video movies and music i have converted over to play on Apple Tv or PS3 wirelessly over the home network to watch on tv. its a great thing to have most people still have not gotten into this yet.. i could easily fill another 5 tbs.. if it really came down to it..

downer88

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
[citation][nom]CHRISTLUBAS[/nom]I cant even fill 250GB!!!![/citation]
Ditto, I don't have a need to store pirated stuff.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
[citation][nom]mindless728[/nom]well this is an issue for people that don;t have good raid cards, the lack of support for 64bit LBA in motherboards will render these HDD's useless (without the 64bit LBA you can't have volumes, not partitions, over 2TiB)[/citation]

i'm confused, why not? (an actual question, not disagreeing with you), 48 bit is the standard at the moment isn't it? that allows numbers up to 280 trillion. even if it was in bits it would allow up to 35TB. what gives? and if I was to guess i would say its in sectors (512 bytes) so it should allow up to 144PB if thats the case... what would make sense is if we were using 32bitLBA, if the unit was sectors then the limit would be 2TB

also, surely we are up to 1TB increments? if this comes out at twice the price of a 2TB its gonna be a hard sell, even for me who considered paying 4x the price of a 1TB drive for a 2TB ;D

and to all those ppl who say "no one needs that much space" ask your self why your mobo comes with 4,8 or even 10 sata ports...

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
sorry for the double post, just checked over at wiki, it seems that most mobos run 48bit lba in the bios, and therfore support drives up to 128PB :D, the version before that supported 28bit LBA, drives up to 128GB, so, if your mobo supports drives over 128GB, or you know its 48bitLBA, it should support drives up to 128PB (unless there is some other limitation of your mobo/sata card). I do know of a problem with the bios not able to BOOT PARTITIONS over 2TB. but if your system partition is over 2TB, you are insane.

G

My problem is that none of the 2TB drives are "RAID safe". The WD drives are all Green non-RAID recommended drives, and well Seagate drives just fail nowadays. Same problem for most (but not all) of the 1.5TB drives.

Plus a single 2TB drive costs 2.0-2.5x a 1.5TB drive.

G

Even if my PC can't see partitions over 2 terabytes (no idea as I haven't tried) my NAS certainly can.

hillarymakesmecry

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
Why do people need this much storage?

I've got less than 200 gb of space on my computer running 3 operating systems with 15 games installed and 15 gb of MP3's. I still haven't managed to fill all the space. What are all of these files people are storing?

G

Seriously people?? There's ALWAYS a need for more space. Back 10 years ago or so 40 GB was MASSIVE, simply an unfillable amount. Go back another 7 years, and it would cost over $1000 for 1 GB. Yes, you read right, 1 GB (not set for inflation). Either programs and games will begin to eat more space, or we will find ways to use the space ourselves. Highly detailed, realistic virtual reality anyone? Maybe consumers will win the battle to finally (legally) rip Blu-Ray movies. Whose to say the everyday consumer won't start running personal servers with multiple backups? Maybe people will record EVERY episode of EVERY TV show they watch and store it permanently instead of temporarily on their tivos. Why not? I filled my 1TB drive in 2 weeks. Once you have that much space, you start finding stuff to fill it with...

Status
Not open for further replies.