2.6 intel or 2800+ barton?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shadus

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2003
Well, I figured it out. You can't read or you just read in exactly what you want to see instead of what is written.

Let me put this in simple words you have a chance to understand (sorry for the multisyl words.)

I have not said anything about results while overclocking in the last three posts EXCEPT (and this is a key concept word, note it) to EXCLUDE (I know these are complex but hang in there, dictionary.com if you get lost) it.

Tweaking is not overclocking.

A "new box" from my shop is "tweaked" to begin with and has a recovery cd with an image of the os with all the "tweaks" already applied.

A "new box" from any hardware manufactuer (hp,dell,gateway,etc) has all of the required "tweaks" to make sure all of the hardware functions at the appropriate levels (even though they tend to slow down the entire machine by loading huge ammounts of resident programs.)

Learn to read, then apply that to all the posts in this thread. Then we'll have a reason to talk again. Until then, I suggest some remedial english or reading classes as the case may be.

Edit: Where you live means nothing, who cares? I live in Canton, Oh. Whee. That makes me more technically savy. No wait, that's less technically savy. Oh wait, no, where I live means absolutely NOTHING in regards to how much knowledge I have. You and G5_Inside sound very similar. Check some of his posts, I'm sure you have enough skill using a computer to figure out the search function.

Shadus<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by shadus on 11/07/03 03:52 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Yeah, my system has no 'mouse lag' in Halo...but has some in others (usually just a low FPS count, can be other things, like scene loading [such as in Morrowind] or even other stupid things like wireless mouse batteries dying), it depends on the game (BTW, I played Ghost Recon at 1280x1024, max details on a 2.66 1GB PC1066 RDRAM and Ti4400 system--zero 'lag'). I don't mind it, in fact I blame my graphics card (actually, I recently upgraded to Omegas and now the lag is gone :smile: ). Go to Tom's benchies and look at them and tell me what you think after that. Don't just take two benchies and say it's the final decision.

EDIT: All negativity is directed at SoDNight, not you Chippy

Damn Rambus.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Vapor on 11/07/03 06:24 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
I know, but some people prefer you put things in their own terms, it makes for better understanding on their end, but only as long as they know what is really beneath it all (low FPS, scene loading, etc.).

Damn Rambus.

TTZX

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2003
Here is my system:

P4 2.4C Stock HSF
Abit IS7 BIOS v1.3 5:4 GAT Auto
Corsair XMS 2x256MB TwinX3200C2 2-3-3-6
GeForce4 Ti4200 AGP8X 128MB
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
Logitech Z-680 5.1 THX Speakers
Seagate Barracuda 7220.7 80GB SATA
Seagate Barracuda IV 80GB
WinXP Pro SP1

There is no menu lag in Splinter Cell which leads me to believe that there is something wrong with your configuration.

TTZX

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2003
I went with the Seagate cause I got a good deal on it. I never had any luck with WD, always broke on me early. I usually use Maxtor.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
AND I used an ASUS board for both CPU's.
That statement alone proves enough for me. I didn't question WHO made the motherboards, I questioned the use of a VIA chipset when there are FAR superior Nforce2 based mobos available. The fact you've misunderstood this basic point proves you don't really understand what you're doing.

The test was simply to show what a home user gets when he gets his new box home.
Your 'test' proved nothing. Like I said, Halo does the same 'mouse-lag' on my AMD system. It's annoying, but I'm not so stupid as to blame AMD, or so stupid as to assume that it must be the same for all other software, because it's not.

---
<font color=red>The preceding text is assembled from information stored in an unreliable organic storage medium. As such it may be innacurate, incomplete, or completely wrong</font color=red> :wink:

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
oh yeah...
Chipdeath your cute
I love you too sweetie-pie :wink:

---
<font color=red>The preceding text is assembled from information stored in an unreliable organic storage medium. As such it may be innacurate, incomplete, or completely wrong</font color=red> :wink:

SoDNighthawk

Splendid
Nov 6, 2003
Reading back on some other posts it becomes evident that Nvidia does not like 3D Mark testing of their graphics cards.
I installed 3D mark 2001 SE with the upgrade patch and got very good scores. The guy I was testing against was using a Radeon 9800 Pro and an Intel 2.6c overclocked to 3 Gig.
I ran a AMD 2800+ and a Nvidia GeForce Ti 4200 against his benchmarks.
We ran the benchmark on only the first 4 tests. The overclocked Intel CPU of course scored higher FPS then I got on a stock 2800+ cpu but I did beat his FPS for the car chase in low detail.
This is a perfect example of how different "Games" run on different set-ups regardless of what CPU or graphics cards are used. Of course we have to remember that the 3D Mark benchmark is only a game emulation and not an actual game. It only mimics game graphics and is not actually providing real time FPS in a game. If they clipped out 40 second clips from a game title that was released and used those to render FPS then we would all really see how the numbers are reflected.
Here are the scores I received on the Ti 4200 Graphics card.

3DMark Score 10645 3D marks
Game 1 Car Chase - Low Detail 170.9 FPS
Game 1 Car Chase - High Detail 61.6 FPS
Game 2 Dragothic - Low Detail 172.2 FPS
Game 2 Dragothic - High Detail 100.1 FPS
Game 3 Lobby - Low Detail 146.4 FPS
Game 3 Lobby - High Detail 69.5 FPS
Game 4 Nature 56.4 FPS

In all cases the Intel 2.6c @ 3 Gig scored better FPS accept for the low detail care chase. His set-up only benched FPS values about 20 FPS faster in the other tests.

If I set this 2800+ to 183/37 and that forces the memory from 333 MHz to 366 MHz and brings the front side Bus up to nearly 200 MHz so the CPU would go from 2.08 to 2.26MHz range I would in fact beat the Intel chip and Radeon cards FPS with little problem.

I however do not overclock my CPU's because best case scenario is a CPU burn out over time.
I am later going to install the AMD 64 CPU's line and use those stock as well. It would be a much more interesting test if he could install a GeForce Ti 4200 graphics card into his system to see if he benched out higher or lower then his posted scores.
My bet is he would get better scores as I am using a slower CPU then he is, it must have been the GeForce card that got the FPS up matching his or better.

»§øЫÑighthåwk™ Don't get mad at the player get mad at the game. Hackers drool and Skill's rule.

TTZX

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2003
Again, another bullshit post by SoDNighthawk. Why don't you provide links to both benchmarks on the futuremark website. If a 2.6C @ 3GHz w/ 9800PRO only gives 20FPS average more in the other tests then there is something wrong with that system. Here are my results:

2.4C STOCK w/ Ti4200 STOCK -> Score: 11466

Game 1 Car Chase - Low Detail 178.8 FPS
Game 1 Car Chase - High Detail 61.6 FPS
Game 2 Dragothic - Low Detail 186.9 FPS
Game 2 Dragothic - High Detail 110.6 FPS
Game 3 Lobby - Low Detail 167.8 FPS
Game 3 Lobby - High Detail 80.5 FPS
Game 4 Nature 53.8 FPS

Here's the Results Link:
<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/servlet/Index?pageid=/orb/projectdetails&projectType=6&projectId=7230849" target="_new">http://service.futuremark.com/servlet/Index?pageid=/orb/projectdetails&projectType=6&projectId=7230849</A>

Car Chase LOW is very CPU dependent and as you can see my 2.4C outperforms your 2800+. Remeber you were saying that the 2800+ can beat a 2.8C, well I don't see that happening since it can't beat the 2.4C. Look at the difference in the LOBBY tests, big difference. I have 20+FPS more on LOW and 10+FPS more on HIGH. Keep in mind I just did this run with DirectX 9.0b which is known to cause some performance degredation with Ti series cards compared to DirectX 8.1. So my score should be around 12400 when using DX8.1.

Here's another test I had done.

2.4C @ 3GHz w/ Ti4200 STOCK -> Score: 13263

Game 1 Car Chase - Low Detail 202.8 FPS
Game 1 Car Chase - High Detail 78.4 FPS
Game 2 Dragothic - Low Detail 212.0 FPS
Game 2 Dragothic - High Detail 122.4 FPS
Game 3 Lobby - Low Detail 194.0 FPS
Game 3 Lobby - High Detail 92.4 FPS
Game 4 Nature 65.5 FPS

Here's the link:
<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/servlet/Index?pageid=/orb/projectdetails&projectType=6&projectId=6856453" target="_new">http://service.futuremark.com/servlet/Index?pageid=/orb/projectdetails&projectType=6&projectId=6856453</A>

So a 2.4C @ 3GHz w/ Ti4200 can give as much as 30+FPS difference compared to your system then how can a 2.6C @ 3GHz w. a <b>9800PRO</b> give ONLY 20FPS more. Please go back to your dreamworld and stop posting unsupported crap like this in the future.

SoDNighthawk

Splendid
Nov 6, 2003
I meant I lost a AMD 475 MHz CPU some years back do to overheating and had to purchase a AMD 500 MHz to replace it with.
Of course it was in an IBM case and not the best cooling platform. A few years back wanting 500 MHz was not out of the ordinary and overclocking a 475 MHz to nearly 500 MHz was a standard practise but I never had much luck keeping them to long before they toasted off.
I can guarantee that overclocking graphics cards does cause the GPU on the cards to retain a memory.
One of the lads on this guide was having blue screens and thought it might have been overheating of his graphics card.
I told him to do all the standard stuff to make sure it was not a heat issue but since I did not know where he got his card from I told him to slightly overclock it to see if it started to run correctly.
The premise is that if he got the card second hand it could have been overclocked and he did not know about it.
I have an old Voodoo5 graphics card I got off a friend and he did do a BIOS update and used to run it overclocked and that card will not run in an old Win98 computer I have unless you overclock it. It retains the memory clock settings. The little switches in the memory chips called angates my bet is they fuse and will not switch open and close correctly so the only way to get it working again is to match the damage by putting the card back to a higher clock setting. As I have worked in electronics for over 17 years I have personally observed chips on lab test benches exhibit this under testing for functionality.

»§øЫÑighthåwk™ Don't get mad at the player get mad at the game. Hackers drool and Skill's rule.

SoDNighthawk

Splendid
Nov 6, 2003
TTZX no one here that comes to Tom's Hardware guide believes for the slightest second that your little Intel 2.4c could post graphics scores that you posted they are lies.
Anyone with half of your cottage cheese brain knows that a little Intel 2.4c cannot run FPS that high in the 3D Mark 2001 SE updated with patch.
Stop running your test set-up's in 800X600 16 Bit High Colour and try them at 1024X768 32 Bit.
Besides the scores you claim you got you would not get even at 800X600 your CPU simply cant produce those numbers and any of the scores posted by other users of an Intel 2.4c are well below what you claimed.

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
i beleive it...

You are just too stupid and upsessed with amd to beleive it, granted amd makes good chips for low end, but for high end (as in if you want to spen more than 100 bux on a cpu) intel has amd owned. The only amd cpus that are worth getting (from amd) that cost over 100 bux are the a64's.

If it isn't a P6 then it isn't a procesor
110% BX fanboy

TTZX

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2003
Dude, before I thought you were misinformed but now I know you're really just plain stupid. How did I make up the scores, I uploaded the scores straight from 3DMark2001 to their website, click on the links I provided and check em out yourself. The tests are run at 1024x768x32bit as it states on the website and all the settings are listed. If you got the ballZ then post the results of the 2.6C @ 3GHz w/ 9800PRO and the 2800+ w. Ti4200 on the futuremark website and provide the link, otherwise keep livin' in your dream world nOOb.

SoDNighthawk

Splendid
Nov 6, 2003
Meet me in Day Of Defeat son and put your Pentium where your mouth is you will find my user name at the top of the score list you know the guy with the 1800+ AMD cpu kicking the living Craap... out of all the Intel guys because their graphics are lagging like sh|t and they cant compete at elite levels.

TTZX

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2003
Haha, you're too funny man. Save yourself further embarrasement and leave this forum, now you're starting to sound like a stupid 10 year old.

SoDNighthawk

Splendid
Nov 6, 2003
The thing is TTZX you are not man enough to know when you are beat.