2.8 Northwood or 3.4 Prescott

yangguo

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
i have a spare msi neo2 s478 motherboard, 512MB kingston hyperx ddr500, antec smart power 400w psu, maxtor 120GB pata, and an ati radeon 9600XT just not being used. so i think i may turn it into a spare upgrade computer for my sister who is still on a Athlon XP 1800+ since the parts aren't being used and all that seems to be missing is a s478 cpu.

i currently am still on s478 (a P4 2.8C) since i don't really plan to upgrade until vista has been out for a decent while. I am thinking should I just give her my cpu and get a 3.4E?

opinions please

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
To make use of the other Neo2 board, seems like a logical choice to do.

Guess if you want other opinions to help reflect other options, you could tell everyone what you use your PC for?

Gaming?

Number Crunching?

Encoding?

Casual Internet?

yangguo

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
I would upgrade but I rather not have to buy a brand new CPU/Mobo/GFXcard just because I am missing a cpu from a good jump for my sis. Like I said, I rather just wait til vista has been out for a decent while before upgrading fully again.. getting a new mobo/cpu/gfx is a pretty much a whole upgrade imo.

The rig I am using for myself right now, I game/casual internet with. I play FEAR and plan to play Elder Scrolls IV when that baby comes out. My current rig right now is: P4P800E Dlx, P4 2.8C, 2GB DDR400, 1x74GB Raptor and 1x120GB, Antec 500W psu. So pretty much I'd be giving her my 2.8C and taking the prescott. I've been pretty faithful to my 2.8c because I spent good enough cash on my rig about 2 years ago and don't really want to feel like I am putting all that money to waste over gaming. So I am also trying to be cost effective.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Looks like it would be a fair ideal choice then, for you and her.

No point in buying a AMD based board, and going for AMD64 chip.

Should keep ya tied over till Vista matures.

Prices then maybe more better, hardware wise to choose components when you do want to switch.

yangguo

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
yeah .. the prescott is hot.. so i am wondering if i should go for a 3.2C instead since thats the highest northwood core i can find still.

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
The 3.2C is still a great proc. I would go for it... I have the MSI NEO-FISR2 mobo and a P4 3.0C that i still use and i can play most games quite well.

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
True, I hang my head in shame :)

I am video card challenged....

I am about to build my next machine which is a x-over machine. It is a cross over because it will be used for multiple purposes from HTPC to Gaming to <cough>WORK</cough>.

It will be nice to have a 118" screen @ 1280X720p to do WORK :)

yangguo

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Thanks for your opinion guys. I mainly wanted to know if it was even worth the switch since sadly enough the cpu didn't devalue very much so still go for a decent sum.

Rustol3um

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
IMHO I would keep the northwood but maybe cause I am biased against Prescott as it is a huge heat generator and requires heavy duty cooling. I have a 2.8C and it over clocks very nicely while I am not sure how fast you could get the 3.4 with doing some serious cooling solutions...If you are waiting for Vista to come out get your sis a cheap intel cpu and for yourself upgrade to AMD and the AM2 form factor down the road...

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Hmmm.. sticking with Intel, your going to need a good cooling solution when you OC.

Staying on stock speed, you wouldn't need the better heatsink solution, unless you have poor ventalation, or live where it's very warm.

I know my Northwood 2.66 gets pretty hot on Prime95 when OC to 2.9- 3 on stock. 60-65C. (Stock HSF)

Not sure about the cache of 1mb would make that much of a difference, or SS3 which northy doesn't have in performance wise.

I guess what ever he can find that is cheaper.. between a northy and prescott.

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
Cooling is an issue with any OC... AMD or INTEL so he would need to address that regardless. The nice thing is the problem can be easily fixed for not that much money. Good Zalman or Thermaltake for roughly 45 plus another 5 - 7 for artic silver and he would be golden (of course this depends on the case/cooling fans available).

IMHO I would keep the northwood but maybe cause I am biased against Prescott as it is a huge heat generator and requires heavy duty cooling. I have a 2.8C and it over clocks very nicely while I am not sure how fast you could get the 3.4 with doing some serious cooling solutions...If you are waiting for Vista to come out get your sis a cheap intel cpu and for yourself upgrade to AMD and the AM2 form factor down the road...

IF YOUR WAITING FOR ANYTHING WAIT FOR CONROE AND THEN DECIDE - AM2 HAS LITTLE PERFORMANCE GAIN

geez people - we've seen what AM2 can do (not much diffrence), how bout waiting to see what conroe is all about and then decide whats faster and cheaper and what not - am2 is not the only new thing coming soon.

Rustol3um

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
we shall see................not dissing Intel or anything, but at the moment intel is all talk and no walk......so I say this to Intel: "make me a believer" Till then I will go with what I know...

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Well, this thread isn't really about Intel or AMD if you re-read everything.

It is yangguo decision, on what he wants to do with his Intel based board that needs a CPU, and that he wants to wait till Vista is out and about.

That's why I said, if he is to OC, he's going to need a better quality heatsink, whether he gets a Northy or Prescott. If he wasn't going to OC, then stock should work okay.

Cooling is an issue with any OC... AMD or INTEL

AMD Optys I heard though... you can OC them on Stock. There was one guy on the forum, just amazed his opty was idle in mid 20 degrees C @ 2.5 Ghz on stock.

we shall see................not dissing Intel or anything, but at the moment intel is all talk and no walk......so I say this to Intel: "make me a believer" Till then I will go with what I know...

I just see AM2 as a platform refresh, but conroe - tell me what P6 based chip has let us down? there always colder and quicker then the last and this chip is not done by the netbust team, its by the pentium m israle team - if any intel chip will do good its conroe - we already have evidence - yonah is here.

On the other hand i do agree with intel and distrust, and being let down but thats mostly cause of netbust.

Well, this thread isn't really about Intel or AMD if you re-read everything.

It is yangguo decision, on what he wants to do with his Intel based board that needs a CPU, and that he wants to wait till Vista is out and about.

That's why I said, if he is to OC, he's going to need a better quality heatsink, whether he gets a Northy or Prescott. If he wasn't going to OC, then stock should work okay.

Cooling is an issue with any OC... AMD or INTEL

AMD Optys I heard though... you can OC them on Stock. There was one guy on the forum, just amazed his opty was idle in mid 20 degrees C @ 2.5 Ghz on stock.

The stock cooler for the P4c's is good enough for a decent overclock - worth a shot.

Diffrent boards can read diffrent temps but yeah the opterons are some high quality chips.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
I said mid 20...

If memory serves.. he said 25 C. Though it might have been 2.4 rather then 2.5 OC.

He said he is using stock AMD HSF. The posters name is "Luminaris"