Question 2 bad psu's 5 fried mobos

Apr 14, 2023
I will start this off by saying this has been a several day event in which my desperation and anger both spiked to levels unseen since my teenage years.

It started off as a simple motherboard upgrade / swap

I have been using my setup for a while
Msi gaming pro carbon x370 mobo
R7 1700x cpu
Gtx 1080ti gpu
Coolermaster m2 silent pro 1000w psu
Gskill 2400 8x2 ddr4
Various storage devices

I know it's getting dated but it has done everything I need it to so far. That being said I wanted to build my significant other a pc so we can play games together. I had some ok gpus as spares but only a 3570k on an asus z77-A as an extra cpu and mobo. So I decided to upgrade my cpu and mobo so I can give my gf my hand-me-downs. Biggest mistake I could have made apparently.

The upgrades started with a new cpu and mobo. I bought a brand new r7 5700g about a month ago on sale. Around the same time I bought a used msi gaming pro x470 mobo when I went to rebuild my pc I did so and to my dismay it would power on, fan spin, but no boot or bios. I put my 5700g back into my original x370 and everything worked. So I assumed it was simply a dead mobo, got a refund, figured I would buy another one a little later when I had a little more money for a nicer one. Enter 2 more used mobos I got off ebay by accidentally winning 2 auctions, i intended to flip the one i decided to not use. I also bought a set of ram

Msi prestige creation x570
Msi mag b550 tomahawk
Gskill Tridentz rgb 3600 ddr4

As per usual I always breadboard new base components before building them in a system. I put my 5700g and the new ram in the prestige creation along with my r9 390x and got a 00 post code even after reseating everything multiple times. I noticed the 24pin being a little temperamental by having to wiggle it slightly to get the pc to turn on. So I switched psu's to a spare evga 500w just to see if I could get a post, still nothing, same behavior. Changed out the r9 390x
With an r9 280x, same thing. Even changed ram and the slots they occupied, nothing. Thinking I got another dead mobo I switched everything to the b550 tomahawk and had the same behavior! Even a few different configurations to no avail. At this point I'm getting annoyed and I decided to start back at ground zero and slowly change until I figure out the problem so I rebuilt my original x370 with my original 1700x but had the same behavior, even when every single part had been changed out, nothing worked. still had fan spin, cpu error , no boot or bios. Eventually the original x370 refused to turn on unless I manually shorted the green and black on the 24 pin on the back of the mobo.

At this point I felt only rage and anger. I decide to take my old z77-A and 3570k and put it on the sacrifice table to confirm my suspicion anything I touched would instantly brick (still a possibility) but to my surprise I hooked it up to the evga 500w psu and It turned on, had usb and even the slightest flash of bios, that's when it turned off, and refused to turn back on, I changed psu's to my m2 1000w and it would turn on again, but now what won't initialize or boot, I grab the mobo and accidentally touch something HOT, a little ic appears to be fried and heats up whenever the board has power now.

So given that both psus touched every single board I own and nothing works, I'm quite sure I fried every one of my mobos with one or even 2 bad psu's.
I know this has been a long read but thank you for getting this far, if anyone has any suggestions as to what troubleshooting steps I should do to see if there's any life left in any of the boards. I would gladly do almost anything that might work. at this point as I can't afford to just buy 2 motherboards and 2 psu's right away. I'm down to my pitiful laptop and cellphone

Thanks a bunch, dev

I guess the first place to start is the psu. I’d recommend a high quality unit. Personally I’ve got a Corsair rmx 850 which is pricey but it’s rated highly I’ve read.

Others can probably recommend you something there.

After that I would test one at a time. Do you still have the 1700? Sometimes those 400 series boards didn’t have an updated bios out of the box so it’s possible You could flash those with the 1700.

Do you have a microcenter nearby? If so you might consider purchasing through them. They’ve got pretty good return policies.

If it makes you feel any better I was switching up my pc to a 5700g on my b350 board and accidentally cut a line from the cpu fan header to my pump and started it up (didn’t know about cut line). Poof my board was done. So tonight I get to do surgery with a cheap b450 board I bought at microcenter tonight.

Reactions: Windywaffle99
Apr 14, 2023
I guess the first place to start is the psu. I’d recommend a high quality unit. Personally I’ve got a Corsair rmx 850 which is pricey but it’s rated highly I’ve read.

Others can probably recommend you something there.

After that I would test one at a time. Do you still have the 1700? Sometimes those 400 series boards didn’t have an updated bios out of the box so it’s possible You could flash those with the 1700.

Do you have a microcenter nearby? If so you might consider purchasing through them. They’ve got pretty good return policies.

If it makes you feel any better I was switching up my pc to a 5700g on my b350 board and accidentally cut a line from the cpu fan header to my pump and started it up (didn’t know about cut line). Poof my board was done. So tonight I get to do surgery with a cheap b450 board I bought at microcenter tonight.
I still have the 1700, I'm not getting rid of anything till I confirm what the problems are. But sadly I'm quite far from a micro center or any sort of electronics store