2 beeps - Parity cannot be reset

specone

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
I am getting 2 beeps on startup followed by an on screen message saying boot failure, system haulted. After this there's nothing I can do. The 2 beeps indicate "Parity cannot be reset" according to the documentation for my Intel D845HV motherboard.

I've tried reseating the ram, booting with each individual stick, resetting the BIOS, and using a new battery.
None of these attempts have yielded a solution.

If anyone has any input I would appreciate it greatly because I am stumped.

specone

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
let me clarify, this is actually an older PC that has been working with minimal difficulty for a long time, so it's not a compatibility issue.

But therein lies 1Gb of SDRAM, a 1.7Ghz P4 processor, a 64Mb Radeon GPU.

Mainly I'm hoping that this isn't an unfixable mobo issue requiring a new one.

specone

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009

Thanks you, I'll definitely use that in the future if I believe I'm having RAM problems. However, I have an update on my issue which I think the rules out the RAM.

Right before the "System Haulted" message was actually another message that flashed on screen for about .5 seconds. After a few boot ups I was able to discern:

Set CMOS date and time (I had changed the battery so I suppose that's why)
keyboard error

So I plugged in the keyboard and booted up, and was able to access the BIOS to set the date and time. Now when I boot up, I get the same system haulted message however only ONE beep.

The manual says this is a "refresh failure"

specone

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
Update: ran the memory test just to make sure, it reported no errors.

Also, I am able to access the BIOS by moving the bios jumper over 1 pin and booting. My hard disk isn't showing up as a potential boot device which seems fishy.

centaurette

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
I'm having the same issue as you except I'm "building" a new computer...kinda. New mobo, used memory, uncertain cmos battery status (sometimes comes up ok, sometimes says its low). :cry:

Anyway, did you figure out the issue or did anyone help you off-website with an answer?