2 BSOD and lots of errors in Memtest 86

badr22

Honorable
May 10, 2012
Hello Guys,

i have recently put a pc together, its bean a week and i have had 2 Bsod(it says memory corruption) and few freezes,
i ran Memtest86 and after about 10Hrs it finds 60 error and its not finished yet, should i rma it or adjust the frequency because it says 1333 in bios.

MOBO - ASUS Z77 pro
RAM - Corsair vengeance LP 8GB

rest is in signiture

Solution
^ Defaults shouldn't produce any errors. IF the MOBO BIOS/UEFI showed 'Overclock error - press F1' then the 'SPD' may have been misread. More a BIOS/UEFI issue than a RAM issue.

IF my RAM @ Defaults produced ANY errors --- bye-bye and it's shipped back to the retailer or OEM.
Assuming the RAM is properly seated and in the correct DIMM slots then RMA the RAM. In the, assuming, P8Z77-V PRO the RAM should be installed in the 'Blue' DIMM slots -- I also assume you purchased a kit of 2x4GB.

I also assume the kit is one of (3) versions of CML8GX3M2A1600C9_

Ideally, the RAM works best if the AI Overclock Tuner -> XMP and if needed the VCCSA -> 1.10v~1.20v plus as I've stated above. However, it shouldn't throw any errors even as Default (seating + slots).

badr22

Honorable
May 10, 2012

yeah what you are assuming is right, should i take it back to the store and get a new one.

Yep, the RAM should work at both Default & Rated speeds and without error. This happens. Crazy sets like DDR3-2400+ often don't run @ Defaults well but even those sets 'shouldn't' produce errors.

As a rule I always run Memtest prior to installing the OS so the OS isn't corrupted. Then after the OS I run a series of stress tests before I install any applications. AIDA64 Extreme (all stress options) for 24 hours home / 48 hours office - http://www.aida64.com/downloads Lastly I install the Applications.

^ Defaults shouldn't produce any errors. IF the MOBO BIOS/UEFI showed 'Overclock error - press F1' then the 'SPD' may have been misread. More a BIOS/UEFI issue than a RAM issue.

IF my RAM @ Defaults produced ANY errors --- bye-bye and it's shipped back to the retailer or OEM.

Solution

badr22

Honorable
May 10, 2012

its time for an rma then