[SOLVED] 2 cores 4 threads how long

j121

Reputable
Nov 9, 2017
How long do you Think dual core like g4560 and i3 6100 with hyperthreading will be able to handle budget gaming? Will they be gone in a few years or stay around?

Solution
That G4560 should be decent for 2 years tops. It all depends on the GPU paired with the configuration and what games you are playing. If your constantly playing AAA games like Tom Clancy's , Battlefield 5, Black Ops 4 then I'd recommend saving for a new CPU .
The 2 core/4 thread chips are already struggling on some newer AAA titles unless you are happy with locking to 30FPS and occasionally seeing dips below that framerate target , they don't have long left for high end gaming that's for sure. They'll probably still be viable for indie games and esports titles for a while since those games tend to have light requirements, but if you are looking to play the latest and greatest AAA games, they really shouldn't be considered anymore.

SubaruWRX244

Honorable
May 11, 2017
That G4560 should be decent for 2 years tops. It all depends on the GPU paired with the configuration and what games you are playing. If your constantly playing AAA games like Tom Clancy's , Battlefield 5, Black Ops 4 then I'd recommend saving for a new CPU .

Solution
If all you want to play is esports then they should last a long time. If you want to jump in a 64 player Battlefield game then the usable life of a CPU like that is already over. That's assuming you already own the CPU. If you're thinking of buying a CPU then a 4 core/4 thread is the minimum to even consider.

j121

Reputable
Nov 9, 2017
i dont play that much games but i build for others . g4560 is a good budget altrnerative now but like you say in 2 years it could be useless. but i guess at least it can be ugraded when that happens. ryzen 3 1200 is going down in prices so maybe is a better alternative slightly more expensive but will last longer. I like bulding amix of used and new parts myself i Think its the best for budget.

All the games are made for consoles,the amount of desktop cores available has zero effect on how games are being coded.
Yes there will be the occasional badly coded game that will struggle to hold 30FPS but all the rest will run fine,budget gaming as the OP question states will be fine for many years to come.

A lot depends on expectations. Do you want to run the latest AAA games? Are you happy with 30fps. I would expect most AAA games released in the last year would struggle to achieve an average of 60fps but should do 30fps.

Personally I like 60fps and above and even modern quad cores struggle to achieve that in some games. Quad cores are really entry level now for modern AAA gaming.

There are already many games that can use more than 4 cores/threads.

All the games are already coded for 6-8 cores because that's what consoles have but 6-8 console cores are so weak that 2/4 desktop cores can keep up with the games as long as there isn't some really bad coding involved.

j121

Reputable
Nov 9, 2017
yeah ofcourse the dual cores with hyperthreading is for budget but they still do a decent job with a good Graphics card my Point was will they soon be to weak even for budget gaming. i tested a i3 3220 with geforce gtx 1050 ti a while back and i got 50 + fps in multiplayer 32 player in battlefield v 64 player + 30 fps. on medium in full hd.