2 cores vs. 4 cores

In the theoretical state where 100% of the processor's full resources are being utilized, a 4 core processor will have double the performance. 4 cores helps the processor carry out four basic instructions each cycle rather than 2. If programs are optimized to run on 4 cores (think of it as 4 processors in one), it's going to perform a lot faster than on a 2 core CPU. Different programs may also run on different cores to spread the load on the processor.

Jenetic

Reputable
Jun 21, 2015
Hoping to build a new computer, I was going to upgrade my husbands gateway but we think it's not worth upgrading, and we're better off starting from scratch. Budget is between 400-500.

Rather than going for them older processors, go with a newer one. You could get the FX 4300 or go Intel with a Pentium or I3. The 4300 and 760k are almost identical in performance but the 4300 uses the AM3+ socket and newer motherboards.

Let's not forget HYPERTHREADING:

One of the best CPU's to get right now (budget depending) is the i3-4170.

This is a dual-core CPU with hyperthreading. This is written as "2C/4T" or written as "two threads per core".

More:
In the past all CPU's were "single core." Then we put two of these next to each other and added in an interface to manage sending data to one or the other. At the time many programs could not benefit directly from more than one core though running one core for Windows did benefit by freeing up the second core for a game to use 100% of.

So programs, including games, must be written to take advantage of all the cores. This is the reason that modern Intel dual-cores often beat AMD six-cores like the FX-6300. The AMD CPU may have more theoretical processing power but the game might use only say about 2.5 of the six cores so the FASTER, fewer cores of the Intel CPU wins.

(DX12 is a new interface layer for games that will not only use more cores but do so more efficiently thus reducing the amount of CPU processing required for an equivalent job under DX11).

Hyperthreading:
Basically this is getting a CPU core to process during the times it normally would be waiting for more data. It's like chewing candy that you got with your right hand but finishing chewing before your hand brings more candy back. So you're waiting to chew (process). So in your LEFT HAND (a buffer) you have more candy and shove that into your mouth as soon as you are done chewing what the right hand brought it.

*Hyperthreading, if fully used can process up to roughly 30% more data.

Summary:
- single core CPU is what all CPU's used to be
- multi-core CPU's are basically single-core CPU's connected together with something to manage sending the data between cores
- programs, including games, must be specifically written to take advantage of multiple cores (some simple video conversion programs can use almost 100% of eight or more cores)

- hyperthreading is a way to have the same physical core process more information
- fewer, faster cores can run games or programs better than certain CPU's with more cores but slower performance per core. (This is also why we BENCHMARK games to compare CPU's).

- DX12 is an upcoming API that will use more of a CPU's cores while also being more efficient. This is especially good news for AMD users as this may reduce the CPU bottleneck completely (though ONLY for games that use DX12, which requires a suitable graphics card, Windows 10, and DX12 to be enabled in the settings if there is a choice between it and DX11).

*For more information, go to WIKIPEDIA or buy a visual learning book on computers (there's some really great books with 3D pictures that include PC parts, POST, BIOS, internet, peripherals etc); I used one for college.

i3-4160/4170:

http://www.techspot.com/review/972-intel-core-i3-vs-i5-vs-i7/page9.html (READ THIS)

I had another review which I can't find right now showing the i3-4160 beating everything AMD currently makes in most games.

*I don't have time right now, but I'd look into something like the following (can use PCPARTPICKER):

- i3-4160
- H97 motherboard
- 2x4GB (8GB) DDR3 memory 1600MHz CAS9 or similar
- best Graphics Card your budget allows (if for gaming). If not for gaming just use the iGPU in the CPU (by connecting to the motherboard)
- other parts? (depends on what you can reuse and total budget... also if this is non-gaming then 4GB DDR3 might be sufficient for now though be advised web browsers with many tabs open can eat up GB's of memory. My advice is keep tab usage to eight or below for 4GB memory)

*Unfortunately this requires a new copy of Windows. One option is to install Windows 10 64-bit Tech Preview, then in August shop around for the cheapest, legal license you can find; the apply the code (preview to RTM does not require you to reinstall). Or wait a bit longer as the preview will last several months.

Jenetic

Reputable
Jun 21, 2015

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-4160 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor ($135.95 @ Vuugo)
Motherboard: ASRock H81M-DGS R2.0 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($49.50 @ Vuugo)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($54.88 @ Canada Computers)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card ($234.99 @ NCIX)
Case: Apex SK-393-C ATX Mid Tower Case ($31.18 @ DirectCanada)
Total: $506.50
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-26 21:38 EDT-0400

So this would need a new copy of Windows? I currently have a harddrive with Windows 8.1 installed.

TRENDING THREADS